Chocolate Orange Wine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liampenn

Reaction score
I have been writting up a recipe for chocolate orange wine. I was wondering if anyone has any modifications or any suggestions to my wine before I start.

2 litre carton 100% Pure orange juice.
1 litre carton 100% Pure white grape juice.
1½ litre Water
2 lb Sugar
4 tbsp Bornville Cocoa powder
1 tsp Wine Yeast
1 tsp Yeast nutrient
½ tsp Tannin
1 tsp Pectolase
1 tsp Glycerine
1 tsp Bentonite
1 tsp Potassium Sorbate

Dissolve the sugar and cocoa powder in boiling water. Allow to cool, then stir in the yeast and yeast nutrient. Add the orange juice, grape juice, sugar, enough water to top up to a gallon, tannin, pectolase, glycerine, bentonite and citric acid. Stir daily for 3-4 days siphon into a demijohn. Ferment untill dry. Add the potassium sorbate and bottle.

Please excuse any mistakes I only wrote this up quickly.

(P.S This recipe hasnt been tried or tested. It is only a draft. Do not attempt it.)
Thanks allot,
Liam :D

Just made a chocolate orange porter weirdly. Terry's must be subliminally getting into our minds.

Anyway, I used 80g cocoa for 2 gal (best part of a tub,) so I'll let you know how obvious the taste is when I bottle in a few days. Apparently cocoa sucks without sweetening, so maybe it would be worth googling some chocolate wine recipes and see how they got the flavour. Bear in mind that real chocolate carries fats that can be unappealing at pouring time. Could be worth doing a vodka extraction on it for something as pure as this.

As for orange juice, I would personally exaggerate the citrus flavour. There's a tonne of ways you can do this in beer, I did mine with citrus hops naturally, but using orange rind along with lemon rind works (you can tone down the citric acid if you want to.) Coriander seed also adds a citrus tone but I don't know how well used that is in wine.

Thinking about it, do you need 1tsp citric acid if you've got a litre of orange juice in there? Check the WOW recipe and see what's in there.

Good luck pal.

Have you got a link to the recipe for the chocolate orange porter? It sounds nice!
I combined a plain chocolate wine recipe (which asked for 4 tbsp of cocoa powder) and the WOW recipe. So I presume it would be enough cocoa. I think your right about removing the citric acid on second thoughts. I will also use 2 cartons of orange juice. And cut 1 off the grape juice.
I stuck well clear of the cocoa powder which had milk already in it. Bournville cocoa is just 100% cocoa.

How did this turn out? A Google search seems to be returning not much information :-(.

I've managed to get hold of a load of Cocoa nibs which I was looking to use in place of the cocoa powder :-)

Bugger :-(.

How do you check the last log on? I didn't know you could do that. I saw how old the thread was but thought I'd try my luck :-).

I saw after some further research, for beers the rate is about 4g of nibs to a litre of stout. I've currently got about a half a kilo of nibs (reduced from £5 to 80p for 150g) so I've plenty to experiment with :-)

If you click on a members username a box should pop up with profile details the last log in info should be at the bottom.

Latest posts

Back