Chocolate Stout?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyMick

Reaction score
I've seen the Simply Stout kit available on Amazon, and I'm tempted by it.

I'm worried that it may be a bit watery or lack body, so I'm looking at options to spice it up a touch.

Ive thought about using chocolate malt and mashing it to replace the sugar. Another option is to use a mix of black treacle and honey.

What suggestions would you make, bearing in mind I've limited equipment!

You couldn't replace all the sugar with chocolate malt as choccy is a specialty grain. Think of it like a flavouring. e.g. you couldnt make a chocolate cake just with cocoa.

Both treacle and honey sugars and will do the opposite of what you're look to do, i.e, thin it out and make it more watery.

If your happy mashing grain, do a partial mash. Mash some base grain at the higher end of the mash temps. This will give it more body.

Another thing you could do is replace the provided yeast with a lower attenuating yeast. This will also give it more body. Mangrove Jacks Empire Ale/Windsor/Lellemand London ESB are all medium attenuating English (dry) yeasts

So could I mash some crushed malt to give the body, and add cocoa nibs for flavour while it ferments? Or would this end up as a nasty mess that goes down the drain?

Back