Chocolate Wheat Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Reaction score
I need advice. I want to make a Munich Dunkel and the recipe calls for Chocolate wheat malt which I don't have. I can buy it from THBC but I don't really need anything else currently. So I was thinking of roasting some crushed wheat malt or substituting a 50/50 blend of wheat and chocolate malt.
Opinions please.

Munich dunkel is normally just Munich malt with a touch of carafa special for colour, so presumably the chocolate wheat is there instead of the carafa. If you don't have a dehusked roasted malt then some roasted barley, choc malt, or similar added at mash out will do the same job.

Munich dunkel is normally just Munich malt with a touch of carafa special for colour, so presumably the chocolate wheat is there instead of the carafa. If you don't have a dehusked roasted malt then some roasted barley, choc malt, or similar added at mash out will do the same job.
Thanks Steve it's GH recipe I think. I'll add some chocolate and Carafa 3.

chocolate wheat is delicious just picked up a few kgs of it, it's similar but different than choc malt or carafa much more mild. chocolate rye is a pretty good replacement.

Greg Hughes recipe is
3000g Munich
2000g Pilsner
200g Buscuit
100g chocolate wheat
80g Carafa 2

He suggests a triple decoction mash which I can't do so I've added 100g of Melanoidin.

It looks a bit of an unnecessarily complex recipe, I used JZ's recipe which was 98% Munich, 2% carafa special II. It seems counterproductive to replace some Munich with pilsner then suggest a triple decoction.

It looks a bit of an unnecessarily complex recipe, I used JZ's recipe which was 98% Munich, 2% carafa special II. It seems counterproductive to replace some Munich with pilsner then suggest a triple decoction.
Thanks again, I'll not use the Pilsner, chocolate wheat or melanoidin but I like Buscuit so I'll keep it.

yeah that is odd, that much Munich will completely overwhelm melanoiden.

I think a step mash would be better to thin the Munich out a bit.

Back