Chrome update.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As the post below says you used to be able to change it back but they have removed the option, it looks awful, not happy .

Chrome 71 Awful UI changes.
Posted by

u/a1ecrei11y
18 hours ago
renderTimingPixel.png

I have been using the default UI ever since I started using Chrome. When chrome 69 came out, and the hideous changes were made to the user interface were implemented (horrible looking bubbled tabs, small dark grey lines separating each tab), I immediately googled and found a solution to revert it to it's superior original state: go to chrome://flags/, search for "UI Layout for the browser's top chrome" and use the dropdown box to change it from default to normal, so me and many others who dislike this layout can be rid of the new horrendous looking UI. However, today when I turned on my computer I was greeted with this issue again. So, I thought no problem; I'll change it back. However, Google decides, nahhhhh. WE like our UI changes better than our old one. In Chrome 71 we're just gonna have to go ahead and REMOVE the option to change it despite what others may prefer.
This is absolutely ridiculous. The fact that we (as users) can't choose our own damn UI is ridiculous. As much as I hate any other browser available, I hate this new UI more. I am seriously thinking of making the switch to Firefox instead if I can't find a way to switch this back. Either using an extension, or Google just decided to put the option to change the UI, this needs to be changed. Is anyone aware of how to change it back?

Unfortunately not, although if it’s any help I use Firefox at work and it’s a pretty good browser now athumb..

I like chrome but don't like the lack of option to go back to the old look which we have had before with luck they will change that soon.

I like chrome but don't like the lack of option to go back to the old look which we have had before with luck they will change that soon.
You could try to installing a custom theme ("settings" option). It won't change the shape of the tabs but it can change their colouring so it's more easy to see which one is active, for example. I like everything dark and use the "Material Incognito Dark Theme" and I didn't even notice that there had been a change with v71.

I changed the background colour which has helped a bit but I still don't like it, I have tried other browsers in thecpast but seem to always come back to chrome its fast and just works for me.

Latest posts

Back