Chromebooks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will4009

Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondering if any of you tech-minded people could give me a bit of advice regarding Chromebooks.

My current laptop has just about had it, and I have been looking for a replacement. However, I came across Chromebooks and I am unsure if I should be looking at them instead.

From what I understand, a chromebook is a internet/app based system, that cannot use programs. Is this correct? I use my laptop for browsing, YouTube, Spotify, email, YouTube etc. Nothing too drastic.

Finally, it would be great to have some idea of makes/spec of chromebooks that I could go for? I don't want to spend a fortune, if possible.

Cheers.

I have a HP Chromebook and it's perfect for web browsing, listening to music and the odd bit of word processing. They are able to take some Android apps now too which is useful where there isn't a web-based equivalent.

They aren't resource-hungry at all so you'll have a much nicer user experience at the lower end. Mine retails at ~£250 and it is plenty fast enough.

Depends on what you need and if you have a good fast internet connection always available.
In the end Chromebooks are dependent on the net.
Do you need any Windows or for that matter Linux programs? Check carefully that they are available on a CB.

I had one on loan for a couple of months I would be happy to have one to replace a tablet (Amazon Fire and so on) or as a second computer but not as a replacement for my main PC/Laptop.

Aamcle

A Chromebook is pretty much the same as an Android tablet but with a keyboard. I couldn't get on with mine so I sent it back and replaced with a proper laptop.

We had to replace my wife's laptop recently and I found out that, say compared to a year ago, there is not a lot of choice and that means prices are at a premium, or at least very variable. We can blame Covid for that, since most of this stuff originates in China, and their economy has only recently got back going again. Even the refurbished higher spec laptops which were common on ebay and the like are not as plentiful.
So my suggestion is to wait if you can and keep an eye on prices and availability, and in the meantime decide what you really need your laptop to do. Things like can I manage with a 12" screen rather than 15.4", how much storage do I really need (but beware budget systems that come with 32GB), can I manage with a 'slow' processor are important. But moving from MS Windows to another operating platform may mean you can't take some of your legacy stuff with you, although I am sure that could be overcome.

Thanks for the advice guys,

I don't really need any windows program. That's why I thought about considering a Chromebook. I did think about just getting a laptop 'just in case' I need to use something specific, that wont run on a Chromebook. However, realistically I can't see that happening, and I have access to my girlfriends PC if I ever need something that a chrome book cant do.

Can Chromebooks run word? I take it there is some similar programme?

Thanks for the advice guys,

I don't really need any windows program. That's why I thought about considering a Chromebook. I did think about just getting a laptop 'just in case' I need to use something specific, that wont run on a Chromebook. However, realistically I can't see that happening, and I have access to my girlfriends PC if I ever need something that a chrome book cant do.

You dont need MS Office to operate in Word or Excel. I have used Libre Office for years on my Windows laptops which is open source and is fully MS Office compatible, and has all the functionality I need although its set out slightly differently which you quickly get used to. I checked tinterweb and apparently you can download it for use on a Chromebook. Why not down load it onto a windows laptop and give it a try. The only down side is its a bit resource hungry, but aren't they all?

A Chromebook is pretty much the same as an Android tablet but with a keyboard. I couldn't get on with mine so I sent it back and replaced with a proper laptop.
Thats spot on just think could I do everything I want on a tablet but prefer a keyboard

Yes they can run the web versions of MS office apps, which for most of the features are free How to install and run Microsoft Office on a Chromebook
https://www.pcworld.com/article/269...letely free,just for Chromebook users, though.

My children have chromebooks and they really are quite impressive with their ease of use, crisp rich colour density screens and really nippy quick to use. The onboard storage also means you can work on documents offline while not connected to the internet and they synchronise when connected back up. It's hard to make the case for mac or pc laptop unless you are using it for media content creation (graphic/video/audio) or want to play games. Many also support connection to an external monitor so you can easily use it as a desktop equivalent if you want at home.

Anna

Latest posts

Back