Church End Goat's Milk Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubabrewer

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. Hope you are all surviving the lockdown and have plenty of homebrew stock. I managed to get a 25kg bag of Pale Malt plus all the hops and speciality grains I needed , online, courtesy of Home Brew Supplies, Farnborough. Everything went well and the quality seems excellent.
I am looking to make a clone of Church End Brewery's Goats Milk. It won CAMRA Champion Beer in 2017 and is local to where I live.
Anyone got any ideas, especially the hop varieties? I think it's Pale Malt, Crystal Malt , Oats and their house yeast (?) but no idea on the hops. Happy Brewing!

I'm trying to remember it, one of my locals has it as a guest ale occasionally and it's my go-to when it's on. I have a feeling the late hops are Styrian Goldings although I could be wrong.

Hello Everyone. Hope you are all surviving the lockdown and have plenty of homebrew stock. I managed to get a 25kg bag of Pale Malt plus all the hops and speciality grains I needed , online, courtesy of Home Brew Supplies, Farnborough. Everything went well and the quality seems excellent.
I am looking to make a clone of Church End Brewery's Goats Milk. It won CAMRA Champion Beer in 2017 and is local to where I live.
Anyone got any ideas, especially the hop varieties? I think it's Pale Malt, Crystal Malt , Oats and their house yeast (?) but no idea on the hops. Happy Brewing!
Hi Scubabrewer,
I had the same question and came across this
https://protzonbeer.co.uk/news/2017/08/08/warwickshire-bitter-wins-olympia-gold so American Cascade and Chinook. Let me know how you get on!

Hi Scubabrewer,
https://protzonbeer.co.uk/news/2017/08/08/warwickshire-bitter-wins-olympia-gold so American Cascade and Chinook. Let me know how you get on!
Hi trap tickler. Thanks for the link. Subject to tasting it again beforehand to calibrate the hop ratios and times I would go with :-
3.8kg Pale Malt. Crystal80L 150g. Wheat Malt 150g. Acid malt 40g Mash 60 mins at 64degC. Hops
Chinnook at 60, 15 and O mins 18g 10g 10g with Cascade at 15, 0 and Dry 5 days of 14g 10g and 30g. Ferment at 19 degC on US05 14 days. What do you reckon? Gives 3.8% ABV and 32 IBU

I haven't tasted it for some time but it flew out when we could get hold of it. I've just started brewing again after a break of 15-years so I've got some catching up to do! From what I remember the overriding flavour and aroma is one of Grapefruit. It’s also very pale and light bodied. I have never used Chinook before but looking at the description you should be good with it as the bittering hop and your IBU sounds on the mark. No idea on the yeast but it's popular for the style, I always stuck to the s-04 which has slightly less attenuation and produced clean tasting beers when used at relatively low temperatures. Looking at the specification for the us-05 it's pretty similar though and yes, definitely keep the temperature down. Mash temperature, I personally would aim for 66 to give you your target abv with that grain bill and the high attenuation yeast assuming it's a 23 ltr batch! I always found my brews came out too strong and thin with poor head retention at less than that. Good look with it and keep me posted - ordering some Chinook now...

Reckon I must have been thinking about another beer as I don't remember it being laden with "C" hops, my bad. It is quite possible I asked for Goats Milk in my local and they gave me something else, as they have to go out the back to pour the beer from kegs.

Chinook and Cascade are some of the key hops in St Austell Proper Job, Chinook is great for bittering.

Hi Scubabrewer,

Hmm - that's interesting that he mentions wheat malt but not oats. I remember at the time that GM was notable for having oats in a trad(ish) British bitter and some of the pints I had in the months after the CBOB win were very porridgey to my taste - I imagine because they were rushing out beer in response to demand and the oats needed a bit of time to condition out. It's not "laden" with C hops but there's definite grapefruit on the finish, I imagine the Chinook is doing more than just bittering. The thing I remember is just how balanced it was - decent bitterness (BU:GU 0.90? It's been a while) and balance. I don't remember much crystal contribution - 2%?

The current website says "Pale barley, crystal malt and oats, blend to fill the palate with flavour. Aromatic hops dance over the tongue for a gentle hop finish." This SIBA allergen list says barley and wheat, which would be compatible with what the Protz article says and is not inconsistent with the brewery website being a bit vague.

Given that Church End was founded in 1994 they will have had to develop their own yeast management rather than buying it in packs from a yeast company - either buying it from a regional brewery as a one-off or ongoing, or buying it from the NCYC. So I'd imagine the yeast is a pretty traditional English yeast.

So I'd be looking at something like
Pale malt
10% oats
5% malted wheat
2% light crystal

S-04/WLP041/1469, any yeast along those lines

Latest posts

Back