Cider Fermentation and Yeast Selection.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfn1963

Reaction score
First 25L of windfall just put in the tub but having used Campden Tablets, left for 24 hours and then added yeast its not really started up almost 3 days later. There is a bit of pressure on the lid but no bubbles unless I press. How long should I leave it before adding more yeast, and how much extra should I add?

I guess I'll get some grief from for this but I used a wine yeast from Wilko. Can anyone recommend a yeast that will be good for apple juice that has a significant proportion from cookers? I'll have enough apples for two more tubs so would be good to experiment.

If the lid is bulging, it's probably fermenting, just the CO2 is finding its way out from somewhere other than the airlock.
I always use Young's Cider yeast, but any Bayanus strain will give good results...

I've never used an official cider yeast. My current batch was fermented with EC-1118. My previous batch was brewed with S-189.

I used Bigger Jugs cider yeast. I got 100g for around £7 last year. I used a couple of teaspoons in 23 litres and stored the excess yeast in its own bag inside another resealable bag in the fridge. I’ve since used it to make several turbo batches as well.

Have you tried Freecycle.org for apples. If you join your local group and put a wanted post on there and add that you’ll give the donors some of the cider in return you’ll probably catch a couple of fish!

One year I made a cider from just Cookers, it was incredibly tarty in taste when fermented out. I got some eaters off Freecycle and then split this tarty batch into 3 lots and added the juice from the eaters to balance the flavour.

If the lid is bulging, it's probably fermenting, just the CO2 is finding its way out from somewhere other than the airlock.
I always use Young's Cider yeast, but any Bayanus strain will give good results...
Started to get a few gurgles now :cool:
I used Bigger Jugs cider yeast. I got 100g for around £7 last year. I used a couple of teaspoons in 23 litres and stored the excess yeast in its own bag inside another resealable bag in the fridge. I’ve since used it to make several turbo batches as well.

Have you tried Freecycle.org for apples. If you join your local group and put a wanted post on there and add that you’ll give the donors some of the cider in return you’ll probably catch a couple of fish!

One year I made a cider from just Cookers, it was incredibly tarty in taste when fermented out. I got some eaters off Freecycle and then split this tarty batch into 3 lots and added the juice from the eaters to balance the flavour.
Yep I've already got a couple of donations but they're cookers too! Freecycle is great for stuff like that; Next Door works too. Last year mine was quite tarty but a splash of lemonade helped - with the added benefit of taking it down a little from circa 9%.

I did last year's batch with Wilko wine yeast & it worked ok.

Next time I need to source more eating apples as the cider was a bit acidic, but this year's crops are poor
Others will know more about this than me but our crop is definitely driven by pruning.

Others will know more about this than me but our crop is definitely driven by pruning.
Apple trees can get into a bi annual pattern.
Also we had late frost & high winds this year. Lost everything on our pear & plum trees. Just a few apples survived as I am trying to train it and its tied to the fence 😄

So glad I waited !
IMG_1591.JPG

I used Mangrove Jack's MO2 cider yeast last year. Worked really well.
BTW - shouldn't you take the red cap off the fermentation lock to let the C)2 escape:?:
CO2 still comes out its just a dust cap is my understanding ? I've just bought some mangrove jack so that's good news

Every day's a school day. I always thought you took it off👍.
Keep an eye on the initial fermentation. I had to put a blow off tube on mine. It went off like crazy for the first week.

Glad all is well.
It's worth taking the airlock off and giving it a clean. In your picture, it is no longer an "airlock", as anything that lands on it can easily transfer to your precious cider...

Latest posts

Back