Cider fermenting...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mavroz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Have Cider fermenting, was in the form of a kit.
Blowoff releasing co2 happily for 3 days. But it is giving off a pungent sulphur / eggy smell.
Is this normal for a Cider?
Temperature of FV is 20/22 degrees.

This is normal for a lot of yeasts, some strains give off a stronger smell than others. It doesn't mean your cider is bad, the yeast is making these smells, and if you tasted it it might have these flavours in too. But after a week or so the yeast will clear up the mess it's made and the smell (and flavour if there) will disappear.

In short yes it's normal.

If it's turbo cider I have had two brews that have both done that one with ale yeast and one with Young's all purpose. The ale turned out fine, the other is still fermenting but the smell has diminished since I topped up.

Someone recommend giving them a good degassing when you rack.

If it's proper cider I'm probably no use to you.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks, have produced many brews now from extract kits and partial mash kits. All these have been fine and have not smelled this since the hot summer months.
The Cider is probably a one off as it isn't for us, I am brewing for a friend.
It isn't TC, it is a love brewing kit.
It is blowing off like there is no tomorrow, much more vigorously than any ale or beer I have made, but it seriously smells.
It will get its 2 weeks or so in the FV, bottled then conditioned until Xmas. Then we will see.
Thank youm

Latest posts

Back