Cider from Aldi 100% natural apple juice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good. I will do another set of readings the weekend and look at bottling.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

I took another reading last night and it is virtually the same as it was before. So time to bottle.

Last night it was going from the sweet to a dry cider. Would I just put sweetner in to try and get is sweeter? If so how much in a 2 gallon fv and sort how long.

very much down to personal taste mate.
what i do is draw off a pint in a tall strongbow glass and use that to a) take a really accurate FG reading on my hydrometer b) dissolve 2 sweetex in a shot glass of water and add a bit at a time and taste / pour more / taste / pour more until i am happy with the level of sweetness.
then work out how many sweetex i need to add to each bottle and drop them in as I fill them.

usually 1 is enough for me. But i did do a TC with champagne yeast that was drier than a Saharan lizards armpit and i added 2 per bottle for that!

I use this all the time.

For a 1 gallon batch I use:
3 x 1.5l Lidl 100% Apple juice
1/2 pint of strong black tea *cold - 2 Scottish Blend tea bags for preference
200g caster sugar
1 pack of Lalvin Champagne yeast.

Add 2 cartons of apple juice to the DJ at first with the tea, sugar and yeast, top up after 3-4 days with the rest of the apple juice
Leave for 4 weeks, then bottle with a carbonation drop in each of my brown swing top bottles, leave for 4 weeks to condition and enjoy.
It's almost foolproof and you get a nice crisp dry cider.

Good luck

I'm liking the sound of this Jeb. How many bottles do you use, and do you take any readings with the hydrometer?

I usually get 8 or 9 500ml bottles from the demijohn.

OG on this batch was 1.062.

Should get the FG in around 3 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is still in the bottle, been in there three weeks now. Not showimg any sign of clearing or the bottles going hard from the bobbles. It has one week to go until I try it and then will leave it a few weeks then.

I tried a bottle the other night. Not too impressed and think I need to give it another few weeks. It was drinkable but a dry cider. I like more of a medium sweet cider. Also it was as flat as a scrumpy with the same amount of cloud. I have a nut brown ale that will be ready soon so that will give me chance to leave the cider a bit longer.

If I wanted to make it sweeter what would I add? As I take it I cannot add more sugar as that would result in more abv.

You could use artificial sweetner, some members have posted they do not like the taste especially from Splenda, this answer to a similar question was posted several years ago.

It's not the maltodextrin in splenda that gives the sweetness. It's a patented chlorinated monosaccharide called sucralose which is some 600 sweeter than sugar.

The maltodextrins used as the bulking agent are likely to be low DE (dextrose equivalent) and therefore not very sweet at all - more akin to a starch than a sugar.

In terms of flavour sucralose, to my taste anyway, is the least "chemically" of all the artificial sweetners.

Lactose is pretty much unfermentible and can be used for backsweetening I think but I can't use it because I have lactose intollerant persons with which to share my brews...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back