Cider from apples..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve never frozen apples, but I would imagine you need a lot of freezer space to get a significant amount of juice, and I guess it would turn them to pulp, which may lead to excessive amounts of sediment getting through the pressing fabric. This is a problem I’ve found if you try to scrat very ripe pears.
Never had a problem with sediment getting through when pressing frozen apples.

I grate my apples in a (industrial size) food processor, then put them through a little 12L press.
Each full press of the cage produces about a gallon of juice. If there are a couple of you doing it, whilst enjoying the fruits of the previous year's labour, it can be quite an enjoyable task!

When I first started making cider from fruit I toyed with the idea of starting a craft business called Road Cider, for the reason above. However, my Mrs said If you’re involved it should be called Rogue Cider.
I love the idea of Road Cider.
And Rogue Cider.

I have a local farm holding near me, in North Yorkshire, who have several pressing days where you can bring your apples and use their scratter and presses and take away the juice. They will also pasteurise apple juice so it will store for longer. Been doing this for three years. Good cider takes a long time to get there. Mine goes in the fv in October and is not touched until May/June.

I was always told not to even look at the cider until the next year's trees were in blossom.
Having worked for a (fairly well known) cider making company, I can testify that this is pretty sound advice!

Im just having a glass of last years, its lovely, apples from trees all around the neighbourhood and gervin cider yeast.No sulphites added, just put away over winter.Delicious.
IMG_20200724_202641.jpg

Awrh,. O well, there's always next year, we made 35 LTRs this year, 20 for me and Mrs, and daughter took 15.athumb..

Latest posts

Back