Cider Kit Error

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee111

Reaction score
Evening people.

So I thought I would buy a cider kit and get the cider ready for the hotter weather. When making the cider kit I noticed I added the sweetener instead of the yeast. I then went back and added the yeast.

With the sweetener being added early is likely to a mess up me cider ?

Cheers

Lee

If the sweetener can be eaten by the yeast it will be.

It may be worth contacting the manufacturer explaining what you have done tell them you regularly buy the cider kit and offer to pay for a sachet of the sweetener and i bet they'll send you one free.

If the sweetener can be eaten by the yeast it will be.

It may be worth contacting the manufacturer explaining what you have done tell them you regularly buy the cider kit and offer to pay for a sachet of the sweetener and i bet they'll send you one free.

Thanks for the speedy reply Chippy_Tea.

Me thoughts were that the yeast may eat the sweetener but I was more concerned about any off flavours it may cause. It’s a good idea contacting the manufacturer, but I have loads of sweetener here. Thanks for the heads up 👍

I doubt it will make any difference at all.
The sweetener will be a "non-fermentable" type - probably aspartame or saccharin...

What kit are you using?

I’ve got a cider sweetener 5.5g from a Brew2Bottle own apple cider kit that you can have. It is less than 2 months old. If it is on any use to you. I note that you say that you have loads of sweetener.

Whilst I realise Scotland is a fair size country, I live in Aberdeenshire.

If you do want it, then start a conversation with me, and send us your postal address, and I’ll stick it in the post to you.

However, I wouldn’t expect the sweetener to get consumed by the yeast during fermentation. Otherwise it would get consumed during the carbonation stage. So I suspect it will be sweet when fermentation is complete.

8063731B-3403-4185-8B51-35D417096469.jpeg

What kit are you using?

I’ve got a cider sweetener 5.5g from a Brew2Bottle own apple cider kit that you can have. It is less than 2 months old. If it is on any use to you. I note that you say that you have loads of sweetener.

Whilst I realise Scotland is a fair size country, I live in Aberdeenshire.

If you do want it, then start a conversation with me, and send us your postal address, and I’ll stick it in the post to you.

However, I wouldn’t expect the sweetener to get consumed by the yeast during fermentation. Otherwise it would get consumed during the carbonation stage. So I suspect it will be sweet when fermentation is complete.

View attachment 61530

Hello Shirley,

Thank you for the very kind offer. But it’s not needed. It was a B2B kit, I just picked up the first packet that I seen and didn’t bother looking at it. I will see how it comes out and will take it from there.

I was more worried about any off flavours.

Thanks again.

Ps, I’m from Fife

Hi Everyone,

Just a little up date. So I checked the cider this morning it it has reached the FG. I’ve given it a little taste and it seem great. I’ve just added the fruit flavouring and I’ve started the cold crash. This will be getting forced carbonated in the next 24hrs.

Thanks again for the reassurance, I was ready for dumping it on Thursday evening.

Lee

Back