Cider kit - temperature control?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horners

Landlord.
Reaction score
About to put on a Magnum Apple cider kit. Have never done a cider kit before - is precise temperature control as important as for ale? I was thinking of just sticking it on with brew belt and Inkbird (no cooling). Experience suggests that this will result in temps going +- 3 degrees from target temperature.

It probably is more tolerant to temperature fluctuation but everything I brew now goes into one of my brew fridges as it's all out in the garage and the ambient temperature in there would be all over the place.

I have only done 1 cider kit so far. It was a Festival Oaked Apple Cider. I Brew all my beers, wines etc in an airing cupboard. Temperature is usually between 20-22 degrees C in the airing cupboard, so it is perfect. Whilst brewing and during initial fermentation some brews will be at 24 degrees in there. So temps will fluctuate a little. I have never had a problem.
The Cider turned out great, I did it over a year ago and still have 4 bottles left. It tastes fantastic but it's a bit on the strong side, came out somewhere between 8-9%. I had a bottle or 2 last year after a few beers and lost the use of my legs 😁

Latest posts

Back