cider kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys, been to wilkos today, and got round to buying a 'BrewBuddy' Cider kit, never made cider at all, this gives you the option of either having a 5% or a 7% brew!!
I would like a go at real cider next year, but for now, i bought this one, and so, was wondering if anyone else has made the same kist, and what the cider itself was like!!
Thanks for the reply chaps/esses!!
:drink:

I've made a few cider kits - I tend to go for the lower ABV as you end up with more appley taste. I also make mine up with apple juice instead of sugar. IIRC Tesco Value apple juice from concentrate has about 250g of sugar per litre - so just use four of the 1L cartons and the rest tap or bottled water.

I haven't noticed any difference with the type of water used - Some claim that distilled or RO water is better since it's pure and that's what would have been in the apple juice before it was concentrated into the syrup.

I treat the water with 1/2 a campden tablet but other than that I don't bother with any other treatment.

Good luck - be prepared for some potentially whiffy smells coming from your fermentor :)

I've done the exact same kit. But once you've bottled the cider and kept it in a warm place for a week or so. Keep it in a cooler place for a month or so, it really goes improve the flavour!

Although next time - really do consider a turbo cider.. its covered extensively in the brewdays section!

Jonnyv - do you use 1 campden tablet per gallon of water?

Thanks for the replys!, will be putting to ferment in a weeks or so, just that i don't have enough bottles at the moment, will have a look at the turbo cider, as its something i haven't heard of before!!!
Cheers

crE said:
Jonnyv - do you use 1 campden tablet per gallon of water?

To treat the water for chlorine I use 1/2 campden tablet per 5 gallons - it's all you need to avoid a chlorine taste.

You would use that sort of concentration in wine/cider making to help stop any wild yeasts once the fruit was pressed - but 1/2 tablet per 5 gallons is sufficient for neutralising a chlorine taste in water.

tasted some of the cider kit last night, wow, really clear, good gas in it, and the taste was spot on, crisp and not to dry either, wished i put more in the fridge after 2 bottles, not one for drinking loads of cidr, but i can make an exception for this brew!!
I think i will be brewing some more of this kit!
Recommended to all!

Back