Cider Newby

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Nicholson

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm a new member and this year have made a batch of cider for the first time. Living in Yorkshire, I'm not in the heart of cider apple country but have used a profusion of my Bramley cooking apples and scrounged eating apples, on a 50/50 basis, in the brew.
The juice attained a 6.1 sugar reading on the hydrometer which I thought was reasonable?
I decided to bottle the batch of 8 gallons, mainly for storage purposes, and start a second fermentation for some fizz!
I've got to say that having tasted it, after around 5 weeks, it's a bit on the tart/sour side. Can any of you experts give me any encouragement that the taste will improve, or is this what to be expected from this mixture?
Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi, Welcome.

It's always going to be a bit on the sharp side with that ratio of cookers to eaters.
Normally about 10% cookers/crab apples to 90% eaters makes a reasonable cider.

You could always sweeten it with an artificial (non-fermentable) sweetener, such as saccharine or aspartame. The acid content will also be quite high, this can be countered with acid reduction solution...

Hi I made some for the first time this year with apples from my tree so just a single variety. Although the taste is dry/sharp its definitely improving,carbonated and conditioning in the bottle.mines about 3 months ageing now.

yeah - stick at it. I make cider with a large proportion of cookers and once its cleared and carbonated it is an excellent drink. it is dry though, ehich is to my taste. If you prefer then sweeten as others have said - the crude way is to add sugar to the glass just before drinking.....

Sweeten with apple juice in the glass,adds taste as well,a little at a time until you've a nice balance.

Yep I'd say 50/50 Cookers/Eaters is probably weighted too much towards the Cookers and will be a little tart / acidic.

It'll probably mellow a bit if you wait until the summer but you may need to add some sugar or juice to it at drinking time.

Don't despair. Homemade cider ain't like your Strongbow / Thatchers / Westons type stuff.

I must say I've acquired the taste now and think it's better. But to anyone trying my cider for the first time I do warn them - it's very dry! Most times I buy cider from a small producer at a show / event they warn me that their dry is very dry - I tell them I make my own and then they are happy I won't be turning my mouth up at the first taste!!

Yep I'd say 50/50 Cookers/Eaters is probably weighted too much towards the Cookers and will be a little tart / acidic.

It'll probably mellow a bit if you wait until the summer but you may need to add some sugar or juice to it at drinking time.

Don't despair. Homemade cider ain't like your Strongbow / Thatchers / Westons type stuff.

I must say I've acquired the taste now and think it's better. But to anyone trying my cider for the first time I do warn them - it's very dry! Most times I buy cider from a small producer at a show / event they warn me that their dry is very dry - I tell them I make my own and then they are happy I won't be turning my mouth up at the first taste!!
Hi Freester,
Thanks for the reply. Just as a matter of interest, do you drink yours flat or carbonated. Also, I did make a couple of gallons from predominantly eaters so will see what they are like in comparison.
I was thinking of giving away some of the produce but agree with you, peoples perception of cider is the shop bought stuff and mine is nothing like it!

Just as a matter of interest, do you drink yours flat or carbonated.

Both! The batches I add yeast to I usually carbonate. The batches I make traditionally using the natural yeasts I tend not to carbonate. Not for any reason other than that is how traditional cider is usually served!

Also, I did make a couple of gallons from predominantly eaters so will see what they are like in comparison.

It will still be dry. Just less acidic or tart. It's hard to separate the dryness from the tartness but you should be able to discern the difference when you compare the two!

I was thinking of giving away some of the produce but agree with you, peoples perception of cider is the shop bought stuff and mine is nothing like it!

And as you say - being from the fine nation of Yorkshire you probably aren't surrounded by hardcore Cider afficionados whereas down here in the South West we're probably more used to Cider (and Lager) rather than a decent ale. Ahem. ;)

Latest posts

Back