Cider not clear after 2 1/2 weeks in secondary

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddyb2

Reaction score
I have three carboys full of cider that I put into secondary about 2 1/2 weeks aqgo. Each has a slightly didfferent recipie - one with ginger, one with blackberries, one just apple. The apple one hasn't cleared as well as the other two. Is it worth leaving it a bit longer, or should I bottle now?

Hi, leave it until it clears, it should be fine so long as you have airlock in .

Thanks. It really hasn't changed much in the last week, I wonder how much longer it will take, if ever? Maybe something has gone wrong with this batch?

Did you use finings? Ive had to wait months before allowing to clear naturally.

No I didn't use anything. I've always racked to secondary and it became perfectly clear after about two weeks. There doesn't appear to have been much change to the clarity in the last week.

Do cider makers use pectolace?
When I make cider, nothing goes in there except the juice of pressed apples and yeast. I don't think the pectin in the skins is an issue since the apples are not boiled up. I'd recommend that the OP either bottle it up or leave it until it's clear and then bottle it. Either way, it'll taste much the same. I tend to make my cider in September, October and bottle it late January.

The observations of a novice.
There seem to be different phases in the clarification of cider
1 solid matter ground up by the scratter which precipitates first
2 a mysterious phase which can be seen at a definite line separating upper and lower liquid and the line falls
3 yeast that eventually runs out of sugars and flocculates. After that the cider definitely clears.

Traditional cider is often cloudy but will eventually clear given time. Doesn't affect the taste so just don't worry about it and bottle it however it is.

When making cider by sterilising with campdens, then adding nutrient, pectolase and yeast I've never failed to get a crystal clear product but it can take a few weeks.

My more recent batches have been made 'traditionally'. Nothing added let the natural yeast do it's best. These were in secondary in Carboys and looked markedly cloudy compared to previous batches.

However once bottled it's not as bad as it looks. Not crystal clear, but not cloudy either when poured gently into a glass. HTH

Back