Cider problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahstev

Reaction score
I am quite new to this home brewing, but am really enjoying it. I have brewed 2 beer kits very successfully, however I also tried a wilko dark fruits cider. Original fermentation took longer than expected. It should now be ready, however it doesn't taste as I was expecting. More like wine that cider, but not nice wine. Someone I know said it might be bacterial infection, but I have also read cider takes longer to get right anyway. Any one else had similar experiences and have any advice. Thanks in advice!!!

How long is it in fv
what reading have u got on hydrometer
Lots of kits dont go by instructions they may take an extra week or even more to finish

How long is it in fv
what reading have u got on hydrometer
Lots of kits dont go by instructions they may take an extra week or even more to finish
It is 2 weeks now since it should be 'ready' but it is cloudier than it should be and doesn't taste good at all. I have since read reviews on said kit, with lots of really good reviews, but quite a lot of bad ones, with some very similar to mine!

Unless its been kept warm (day and night ) with the recent cold spell fermentation times will be extended,Perhaps by as much as a few weeks,!!!!
As its still cloudy this indicates its not finished yet.

A hydrometer would tell you for certain beyond any doubt,They are as cheap as chips and more or less essential in this game.

As far as the possibility of infection is concerned,If Everything was sanitised before starting your kit you should be ok.
Give it some more time to come good,If in a few weeks its still cloudy and tastes "rotten" then you do indeed need to review your sanitation procedures.

Unless its been kept warm (day and night ) with the recent cold spell fermentation times will be extended,Perhaps by as much as a few weeks,!!!!
As its still cloudy this indicates its not finished yet.

A hydrometer would tell you for certain beyond any doubt,They are as cheap as chips and more or less essential in this game.

As far as the possibility of infection is concerned,If Everything was sanitised before starting your kit you should be ok.
Give it some more time to come good,If in a few weeks its still cloudy and tastes "rotten" then you do indeed need to review your sanitation procedures.
Hydrometer reading is at 1.000,which is around what it should be.

Well it seems to have fermented out.
But i still say have the patience to let it go the distance.

Glad you have a hydrometer. athumb..

Patience my friend patience is a virtue.

Not tried this kit, but dry "real" ciders can taste a lot different from the cider you buy in shops. I've been given some cider that a friend fermented from his own apples, it's bone dry and arguably an acquired taste.

Latest posts

Back