Cider Season Has Begun (with pics!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyv

Regular.
Reaction score
Some of you may recognize me from another homebrew forum, and while generally an AG brewer, each year my brother and I make cider from his three apple trees.

Ok so it's only the second year we've done it, but we've learnt a lot in a year and hoping this year's cider will be better than the last. And I thought you'd like to see some pics...

It's worth pointing out that we're not using cider apples - in fact our 'blend' is three different apple trees, two eating apples and one cooking apple tree - so the taste isn't overly appley but we had some good comments on last years' 100 litre output.

So, the process is very simple:

1. Pick the apples (hopefully off the floor, otherwise with a large stick to 'persuade' them from the tree - you don't want underripe apples however). Rinse in water to remove dirt/grass/beetles etc.
2. Chop the apples into quarters or more
3. Pulp the apples
4. Press the apple pulp
5. Ferment
6. Blend then bottle or keg

Last year we got blisters using kitchen knives to chop the apples so this year I thought up a genius plan to use a potato 'chipper' device to lessen the work load and speed the process up. We pressed the same amount this year in one session with two people as it took four people last year.

Step One - Pick the apples
Windfall apples will be nicely ripened but need to be gathered before rot sets in. My brother picked three containers worth of windfall apples in the last week or two:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Step Two - Chop the apples
Using our newly discovered chipper device we set about chopping the first batch of apples.

£13 chipper from Robert Dyas:
3.jpg

Apple goes in:
4.jpg

Apple chips come out:
5.jpg

Step Three - Pulp the apples
Using a 'Pulpmaster' bucket contraption we pulped the apples. This is a very simple bucket with a lid, the lid has a hole which fits a metal piece of dowel, on the end there is a blade. A drill connects to the end of the dowel, the chopped apples are put in the bucket and whizzed, stirred, whizzed some more then stirred a few more times to get a good juicy pulp.

7.jpg

Looks like vomit but smells like apples!:
8.jpg

Step Four - Press the pulp
The apples are now sufficiently broken down to allow pressing. We used my parents 30+ year old wooden press. It's hard work as it doesn't press a great deal at once but it does the job. One press will yield about half a gallon.

9.jpg

My brother at the press:
10.jpg

The remains that come out of the press are great for the compost heap (again, looks like vomit!):
11.jpg

Looks murky and quite disgusting but it'll clear once fermented:
12.jpg

We ended up with 6 gallons in the FV and a further three demijohns (not shown) after 4 hours work:
13.jpg

Step Five - Ferment
We added one campden table per gallon to kill off any wild yeast and bacteria lurking on the dirty apples.

After two days we added some dried cider yeast and leave to ferment for a couple of weeks. This year we're going to ensure it doesn't ferment too dry by stopping fermentation with further campden tablets.

Regarding sanitation, we sanitise everything with iodophor at the beginning of the session but when you consider where the apples have been, what they've been in contact with etc it's any wonder we don't end up with apple vinegar, but the process works!

Step Six - Blend then Bottle/Keg
This year we're going to blend each 'batch' to create a more uniform cider for the season - last year we didn't and some batches were better than others. I'll be priming and bottling my 'share' to get a nice fizzy cider, whereas my brother prefers it still so he'll be using bag-in-a-box type dispensing.

And that's it - it's a simple process and if you have enough apples you can press enough juice to have enough stock for the entire year.

Hope you've enjoyed the post :)

Superb Post :clap: Great Pics :thumb:

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Love the Apple Chipper idea :cool:

that chipper is a great idea :idea:

I've got apple trees in my garden and was planning on making cider, but dont have the materials or time to make a press :(

will definitely do it next year and refer back to this post ;) :thumb:

Brilliant post J. :thumb:

I have a long term plan to get a couple of apple trees planted to serve two purposes. Firstly to provide some extra privacy from neighbouring houses as I can see their roofs and the second is to allow me to make some cider. I have worked out that I need to get apple trees with MM106 rootstock which will mean they will grow to about 10ft high and 12ft wide. The downside is that I will have to wait around 3-4 years before they fruit properly. Suppose that will give me time to get the apple press sorted out.

Thanks for the comments - the cider's fermenting away nicely and we've planned another round of pressing for next weekend (20th/21st).

Will post some more pics once we're blending/racking/bottling.

Another day spent pressing apples today. We also racked the previous batch into secondary FVs until we need to blend them.

We topped our pressing record and got 17 gallons in the FVs. Another 10 gallons and we'll have produced 1BBL this season :D

No pics but I noticed something interesting today. As the juice is pressed, the apples oxidise and go brown, creating brown apple juice. As the yeast does it's thing the juice turns a nice clear golden yellow colour, I guess this must be from the yeast metabolising the oxygen?

Thats a LOT of cider :shock: :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing how the drinking goes, I bet it'll be awesome :D

Our cider season only lasts between six & eight weeks before the apples rot so we have to brew enough for a year supply ;)

(That's our excuse anyway!)

As a bit of a cider nut i loved this post. I managed to get a tonne of mixed apples this year for free. With plans to make some cider. JEEZ! a tonne of apples was a bloody lot. Eye's too big for my belly kinda thing and they ended up being fed to my pigs. Still, the pigs tasted good for it. :lol:

I think i'll scale down and have a go at this. Thanks for posting. :cool:

Another five gallons done at the weekend - we're just five away from 1 BBL :D

The next question will be how on earth we're going to blend and bottle it all :hmm:

Nice one :thumb:

I got 23 lt of cider on the go, only I took the lazy mans way and popped to my local cider maker when they were pressing the apples :thumb: .

what a great post. really enjoyed reading it. if i ever do a cider brew i'll look this up for it.
like others i like your chipper idea, and bet it can be used for plenty of other stuff too.

blending such a large quantity ... that'll be tricky. what chance of commandering the bathroom for a day? thoroughly clean and sterilise the bath and blend it in there?

percival said:
blending such a large quantity ... that'll be tricky. what chance of commandering the bathroom for a day? thoroughly clean and sterilise the bath and blend it in there?

You can pick up food grade (second hand) blue barrels for next to nothing. They'll hold 46 gallons.

Here for instance. Didn't spot where the OP was, that's just one local to me.

wow they got stuff there to set dreams in motion for bulk brewing!

1000 litre food grade IBCS :party:

percival said:
wow they got stuff there to set dreams in motion for bulk brewing!

1000 litre food grade IBCS :party:

Incidentally, I was looking at a video of Purple Moose brewery in North Wales and Laurence there appears to be using IBCs for beer storage.

Latest posts

Back