Cider temperature?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaconWizard

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have begun a batch of cider using a sauternes yeast, which is happy down to 5decC. I am fermenting it outside, subject to the temperature swings of the weather, so at night it is dropping to freezing sometimes.

Naturally, the yeast will go dormant. While I know there is a risk that fermentation will get stuck, is it reasonable to hope that when the temperatures rise above 5degC or so, that the yeast will respond and continue to ferment?

It seems to me that people have made cider for centuries, they can't have always had time or resources to protect it from the weather...

Besides going dormant the yeast will drop out of suspension and need to be roused.
Ah that's definitely something to consider and a good point.

I am hoping to upscale the process eventually to 1000 litres in an IBC with as little interference as possible from me, but a stir after a cold-spell is probably necessary.

So far in Shropshire, it has begun to hit 1degC at night, but it's still fermenting when it warms-up, albeit very slowly. Low floculating yeast might be why. Keeping a close eye.

Latest posts

Back