Cider With Little Taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
I brought some time ago a Festival Cider Kit Followed the instructions to the letter but once I bottled it and waited to see it clear. I tried a Glass it was nice and cold but the cider did not taste that strong. You can just about taste the cider I did not add sugar because I wanted it to a dry cider. I started the Cider 18th of Feb then on March 17th bottled the Cider and left it for 7 days in the warm then I transferred it 7 days later to a cold place. and tried a bottle today very little cider taste. Is there I am doing something somewhere? Should I leave it longer to mature or put the bottles somewhere warm again This Cider is meant to be 7% This is not the first Festive Cider I have had The first one I had had no Taste at all I sent them a sample and they agreed it was tasteless and sent me a new Cider Kit Hope someone can help out here . Thanks

I did not add sugar because I wanted it to a dry cider.
I’ve never made a cider kit before but I think this is your problem right here. I’m assuming this is like the “can and kilo” beer kits so I might be wrong. If that’s the case, adding sugar won’t make it a sweet cider because the yeast eats the sugar, making it dry. A sweet cider will have unfermentable sugars added at bottling to “backsweeten” it before carbonation.

Did you take hydrometer readings? If you didn’t add any sugar then you will hardly have any fermentable cider wort and it will be very weak with very little alcoholic taste.

Sorry What I meant to say is I did not add the Cider Sweetener but added the correct Sugar to the mix my cider is nice and fizzy but very little cider taste

It could be the lack of sweetness causing the lack of flavour. Bubblegum loses its flavour when the sugar is dissolved out - add sugar and the taste comes back. Could you make up a little sweetener or sugar solution and gradually add it to a glass of cider and see if it changes.

Hmm, If you've added the correct amount of fermentable sugar, but left out the "cider sweetener", you've probably done right for a dry cider. What is "cider sweetener"? A non-fermentable sweetener?
It sound to me as if you should try a different brand of kit. One with some apples in it.
Interesting idea: get a carton of pure unsweetened apple juice from the supermarket, chill it and try adding some to a glass of your homebrew. Worth I try, I should say.

Latest posts

Back