Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mavroz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi. A couple of you know I got into brewing, not for myself but was egged on by friends to make up some homebrew for Autumn and notes Christmas.
Anyway I am in it now conkers deep and am about to start my 9th bitter/ale (from maltmiller) probably at the weekend. I seem to prefer a partial mash now I am getting the hang of things slowly buy surely.

I have digressed into the usual ramblings but I am now being asked if I can possibly make some cider (s) also.
The type of cider requested is typically the mixed berry ciders a la kopparberg or rekorderlig. Now I know that things are not going to be identical but am looking for something fruity and sweet like they are.
I don't really want to be buying more brewing equipment and would ideally likely use the equipment I have for ales and bitters.
I have looked around the various recipes but so many vary, some use tea, some use sweetener to sweeten (is this artificial sweetener as opposed to sugar?)
If anyone can link me to a good tried tested and proved recipe on the site or copy one, it would be much appreciated.

I make wine out of Iceland's Forest Fruits and Red Grape, Apple & Berry. It tastes like the ciders you mention, but not carbonated (obviously).
I'm considering using them to make Turbo Cider, then carbonate. I don't think it will be as good, but pretty close.
The juice is £1.19 a litre. 4 litres and a pinch of sugar per gallon. Just need to find the right yeast.

If you aren't looking at Turbo Cider, you can buy frozen mixed berries from Iceland at £1.50 per 500g, I think.

Sorry for the Iceland fandom, I do shop in other places

I did this back in 2016.

CIDER FROM LIDL
Started 29thJanuary 2016

Recipe:

4ltr Lidl Solvita Apple Juice
0.5tsp pectolase
1pkt Wilco Ale Yeast

Method:
Add all juice, pectase, nutrient and yeast to DJs.
At 20 degrees check and record OG, pitch yeast, fit air-lock and place in FV cupboard.
When fermentation stops check and record FG.
Add 1 crushed Campden Tablet per DJ then bottle.
Use Splenda to sweeten as required.
OG 1.058
FG 1.010
ABV 6.3%
Bottled 15thFebruary 2016

Verdict– A cheap and cheerful cider so (with lower ABV) definitely RB.

If you want a "fruity" taste then you could replace 25% of the Apple Juice with a Lowicz Cherry or something similar.

Enjoy! athumb..

If you really want to make a Rekorderlig/Koppaburg style alcopop made with water instead of 100% juice (Koppaburg even boast about using Swedish mineral water on the label) that is allowed to call itself cider because of lax labelling laws, then your best bet is to go with a mixed berry cider kit. Bulldog Brews and On The Rocks do them. They come with apple concentrate, yeast, berry concentrate flavouring and sweeteners. You can find review threads for them in the kit review A-Z sticky.

Latest posts

Back