Ciderworks Superior Dried Oak

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave 666

Regular.
Reaction score
Maybe the first to try this, maybe not. But just done this today making use of the boil time with my latest all grain (10\10.5 litre) brew. A several weeks off 56 odd pints of home brew.

Not to much to say yet except the initial SG of 1044 may have been inhibited by the addition of the dried Oak bits that very much float on the top, even after a mix. All the same, an SG of 1044 indicates a possible ABV of 5.38% if the minimum FG of 1003 is achieved. If a point better then ABV 5.51 or 5.64 if 1001. So, im happy if the ABV 5.38 is the FG reading

This is bubbling away nicely through the airlock this morning. Took a while to start, a good 36 hours before any notable action from the airlock. It was slow yesterday but bubbling quicker this morning. I thought it would be slower to get started as the temps are at the lower end, 18-20. I read with this kit fermentation will likely be slower at the lower end of the temp range but in no real rush and what's in a few more days fermentation seeing as it aught to better take on the smoked oak flavouring if a slightly longer fermentation.

Good so far, how long do you leave it soaking with the oak chips? I saw this and was tempted, wondering if it tastes like a green goblin or the like

I regularly make a wine kit that includes a sachet of oak chips as you have said in winter it takes longer for fermentation to finish due to the lower temperature this has had no effect on the oak flavour so it'll be fine.

I treat myself to a heat pad last year and what a difference that has made to fermentation times in winter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Better-B...6:g:rkwAAOSwuvtb02Uy:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Good so far, how long do you leave it soaking with the oak chips? I saw this and was tempted, wondering if it tastes like a green goblin or the like

The oak chips remain in from start to finish, the instructions make no mention to remove at any point before the cider is ready to bottle. But then again, as they get sprinkled on the top after the yeast then difficult to remove anyway.

I checked the gravity reading last night, (after day 8) and the gravity is already at 1003. No sign of the oak chips, so I assume resting nicely at the bottom. Colour is typical if cloudy cider. Not to sure on expected eventual clarity but if supposed to be clear, clearly it still has work to do. If the next gravity reading is the same I'm then expected to add a "flavouring" sachet despite this being just an apple cider!. No mentioning on if to mix or to leave settle longer after adding the flavouring. In fact, just bottling (or barreling) and priming instructions after than.

Of cause, as I like dry cider I never added the sweetener at the start. And trying the drawn sample it is indeed very dry, maybe I aught to have added a little of the sweetener. But as the instructions say to leave it out for dry cider I think I'll leave it alone. Besides, maybe the flavouring will add something more I done know as there isn't really much at all as to what the flavouring a actually does in the apple cider!.

I think these kits are meant to come out clear (ish anyway). With the addition of the oak chips I think it’ll be one to mature for quite a while and clear, what do you think? Saying that though I’d be far too tempted to drink it haha. What’s the expected final gravity?

Well the instructions suggest when I reach a stable gravity to add the flavouring and bottle. As said no mentioning on if expected to be completely clear or if the "flavouring" requires stiring and extra time to settle in, which is frustrating to work out. As the gravity is supposed to be at least 1003 I guess it's there already so adding the flavouring later and see how things go a day or so.

Well checked the gravity and just on 1002 (the same as 2 days ago looking at notes). Which based on my SG gives me a good strength 5.51% abv, not bad for the first cider kit.

So the flavour sachet has been added, not to sure exactly what's in it, it's marked as "apple cider flavouring". Smelling it, certainly concentrated in aroma but almost pear like for some reason despite the sachet being clearly marked. I extracted the few remaining drops in the sachet to the sample I used for the gravity reading. Certainly makes a difference, not sure in which way just yet but more depth of flavour and aroma than anything. Anyway, whilst before I was very unsure on the tried sample (drawn for gravity reading), just 2 days later with the flavouring I can tell a distinct and improved difference. So much so that whilst the instructions indicate ready for bottling right away now I'm going to leave it a couple more days. And depending on what it's like then I'm giving thought to not even adding the priming sugar as it really does taste good enough that it might be better as a still cider than carbinated cider. I drink loads of still boxed cider at beer festivals and like this as much as some of them. Maybe I'll do a mix of both, will just see.

Clarity is the same, so I'm thinking naturally cloudy looks like the most likely outcome.

I do the winebuddy kits with oak chips and they just end up in the trub at the bottom of your fv, no sign in the bottle.

Well checked the gravity and just on 1002 (the same as 2 days ago looking at notes). Which based on my SG gives me a good strength 5.51% abv, not bad for the first cider kit.

So the flavour sachet has been added, not to sure exactly what's in it, it's marked as "apple cider flavouring". Smelling it, certainly concentrated in aroma but almost pear like for some reason despite the sachet being clearly marked. I extracted the few remaining drops in the sachet to the sample I used for the gravity reading. Certainly makes a difference, not sure in which way just yet but more depth of flavour and aroma than anything. Anyway, whilst before I was very unsure on the tried sample (drawn for gravity reading), just 2 days later with the flavouring I can tell a distinct and improved difference. So much so that whilst the instructions indicate ready for bottling right away now I'm going to leave it a couple more days. And depending on what it's like then I'm giving thought to not even adding the priming sugar as it really does taste good enough that it might be better as a still cider than carbinated cider. I drink loads of still boxed cider at beer festivals and like this as much as some of them. Maybe I'll do a mix of both, will just see.

Clarity is the same, so I'm thinking naturally cloudy looks like the most likely outcome.

Sounds great, it will be interesting to see the difference if you do a split of some carbonated and some flat, wonder if that will make a difference clearing wise? Can you smell/taste the oak now?

Yeah, it sure will be interesting to see the difference in a few weeks if I do split between carbinated and still when bottling. Though I can't see how it might make any real difference clearing wise, but I'll keep an eye on that all the same.

As for tasting\smelling the oak, unsure to be honest. Definitely something in the taste if nothing else. But intend leaving things another 3 days before bottling to let the added flavouring work in better and will see what it's like then. Which seeing as by that point it will have been in the FV 13\14 days against the suggested 7 day minimum before bottling to condition will likely mean any longer in the FV would unlikely take on much more of any oak flavouring. But there was a generous helping of Oak chippings so aught to take the flavour on well in time. Suggestion is to then condition in the bottles at least 2 weeks for a smoother taste and flavour.

Bottling day today for this stuff. Straight forwards, got about 38 pints worth so little wastage as little sediment from this kit.

Anyways, remains just as cloudy so I assume this will be a naturally cloudy cider. And in all honesty I don't really see this clearing much if any further at all even after carbonation and cooling. But I'll see what the next week or so brings as I've bottled a few in clear white bottles to test clarity and sediment (if any) settling.

I also put 5 aside as still cider to see if this kit can make a decent still cider. I could have done more than 5 for still cider, but thought nar, just do the majority as per instructions for now, could always do more of a flip next time if this works well as a still cider. And to be honest, the half pint left I'm drinking now as still cider seems very acceptable at such a young age. Nice and dry, but not overly dry for my liking, should mature well this.

After 6 days in the bottles it's now cleared quite a bit which has surprised me a lot. Not even cold crashed or chilled the bottles or anything, and yet it's still cleared much more than I expected. The little sediment that is in the bottom looks very fine (should do as from a kit after all). I'm now hopeful of getting a pretty clear end cider from this kit.

I think next time either give an extra week in the FV or cold crash for a few days in the shed before bottling. Going to try a bottle weekend to see how good it is and maybe get another.

I regularly make a wine kit that includes a sachet of oak chips as you have said in winter it takes longer for fermentation to finish due to the lower temperature this has had no effect on the oak flavour so it'll be fine.

I treat myself to a heat pad last year and what a difference that has made to fermentation times in winter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Better-B...6:g:rkwAAOSwuvtb02Uy:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true
When I brewed wine years ago it was the Hotpress for me though with no experience except a few books and temp control it actually turned out ok but the beer was a different kettle of fish when I recall sitting in the living room thinking I had heard gunshots in the distance which wasn't unusual in my town at the time but was I so wrong.....
Fermentation chamber now and no mess as the ease of heat control is great.acheers.

After 6 days in the bottles it's now cleared quite a bit which has surprised me a lot. Not even cold crashed or chilled the bottles or anything, and yet it's still cleared much more than I expected. The little sediment that is in the bottom looks very fine (should do as from a kit after all). I'm now hopeful of getting a pretty clear end cider from this kit.

I think next time either give an extra week in the FV or cold crash for a few days in the shed before bottling. Going to try a bottle weekend to see how good it is and maybe get another.

Brilliant, really interested to see how the end result works! I’m on the verge of buying the kit myself now

Well, first bottle tried tonight and unlike any mainstream commercial cider I've tasted to date. And that's in a good way of cause. Tastes quite a bit different than the sample during bottling to which makes me think just where this cider is going maturing wise as it's ever changing and still a very young cider.

First off I made it to a dry cider, as in not added any of the sweetner, which is how I tend to like my cider. I also primed it exactly as per instructions to make a solution with hot water and add 10ml per bottle.

Opening the bottle a nice crisp cider smell gets you, in a similar way that dry hopped beer does I think the best way to describe the aroma is. Pouring into the glass gives little notable bubbles & fizz which makes me think has it carbonated much at all?. In fact, no it hasn't and unsure on if it will carbnate much more than it currently has after 7 days, but I'll see. But that said, it's probably for the best as a cider like this sure feels like it suits being more lightly carbonated than fully carbonated.

Clarity in the glass is now very good with likely zero transfer of the sediment from the bottle which I guess helps the clarity. Flavour is dry in a way that I very much like. Yet there is almost what I guess to be top notes of sweetness in the apple taste if that makes any sense?. Oh and I personally get the oak quite a bit as I've had oak conditioned cider at beer festivals several times and so learnt to recognise it.

The apple taste I'm still slightly undecided on, as in unlike mainstream commercial ciders that in comparison clearly have sweetner and "flavour" enhancers to the point where it's an overpowering apple taste. This however comes across as a well balanced cider, but probably better suited to making it up to more like 37 pints to add a little more body as it does appear a little light on the body front. But that of cause could change over the weeks.

But still a very crisp and light cider all the same that does not feel like a kit cider but more like something between a bog standard meanstream "real" cider and a genuine real cider that you get in those 20 litre boxes at beer\cider festivals and down south in the more cider drinking counties etc.

Will update again once or if there is any significant difference in this very nice cider kit.

Great review Dave 666, I'm currently trying this kit out now. I've just got to the bottling stage.

Latest posts

Back