Ciderworks Superior Dry Oak kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyPitralon

Reaction score
After the disaster with my first attempt (the contents leaked from the pressure keg and disappeared under the floorboards), instead of asking stupid questions I can now contribute something at last.

The kit used was the Ciderworks Superior Dry Oak. I started on the 26th May and fermentation stopped on 30th. The first reading showed 1.042, with the last one being 1.004. That should represent about 5.3% or thereabouts. I did NOT use the sweetener, partially because I wanted to see what it was like without it, and because I didn’t like adding something artificial.

Initially, I was a bit concerned about the apparent ‘messiness’ of the oak chips but was pleased that it was perfectly possible to draw a fairly clean cider on racking. For secondary fermentation I added 116 grams of dark Muscovado sugar dissolved in a little fresh apple juice (ALDI), which worked well.

My cellar is very dependent on outside conditions and, therefore, doesn’t have a consistent temperature. At between 16°C and 22°C the liquid cleared quite nicely (as far as I, as a beginner, can say).

I gave it four weeks to mature and then could not stand the waiting any longer. I have to say (and my wife agrees) it is a bit more watery in taste than what we are used to. HOWEVER, I hasten to add a caveat. Firstly that sounds far more dreadful than it is. In reality it tastes nice. The oak does not come through very strongly but is there. Also, we will certainly have to retrain our taste buds after decades of supermarket produce.

All in all I am rather pleased.

Next one up is the Muntons Cider Premium Gold 30 Pint Autumn Blush.

Good to hear, got one of these kegged and intend to have a cheeky sample this weekend as it should be fully carbonated now.

Back