Cidre into 2l bottles (glass and plastic).

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Appleyard

Regular.
Reaction score
I've got some cider from garden and other apples that needs bottling, and some 2l PET bottles, and some 2l glass "ear jugs" (used to contain Weston's "Old Rosie"), with alumininium caps. The bottles, I take it, would just need sterilising, and a couple of tsp of priming sugar adding (2l bottles appeal to me over 500ml glass crown cap ones or clip-top, which I also have a quantity of, but meh).

What about the glass jars? The lids are not ever so good, and the last time I used them, a yeast film developed on the surface of the cider inside, which was not good (my WI book says "Pour in some (vegetable!) oil to stop it turning the alcohol to vigenar). Can I use corks (and little priming sugar, I don't really want very fizzy)? Are new caps available? Would corks be OK?

I suppose I could do what I have been doing with my 2l brews, that is add sugar, leave the lid on loosely until that's created CO2 on top, then cap the jard with whatever.

Any advice?

Latest posts

Back