Cinnamon?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPeters

Reaction score
Hi All,

Fairly new to homebrewing, picked it up during the first lockdown and i've been hooked ever since.

I have a belgian IPA receipe pack from GEB which i'm looking to brew over the coming days, it's my last 5l brew before biting the bullet and upgrading. I have a few brews under my belt now so i'd like to experiment a little, if i can, make it a little festive too. I was thinking of incorporating cinnamon into it somehow, bit unsure whether to add it to the mash, boil or ferment stage. Any advice would be welcomed! Equally, feel free to tell me its an bad idea and won't work ha!

Cheers,
Ryan

Deffo worth doing. I do a Winter warmer brew and to add a little warmth / spice based on a 23 litre batch I put :

45 mins before end of boil - 15g Ginger paste
15 mins before end of boil - 2 sticks cinnamon, 5g allspice, grated peel from a small orange (no white pith)

This was on a recommendation from a head brewer. I actually halved the qtys as don't like to go overboard. Go easy with hop additions though as they can mask the taste of the additions.

Always best to put in during boil stage as anything that goes in post boil always has the chance of infecting the brew if it's got some nasties in it.

Hope that helps !

Deffo worth doing. I do a Winter warmer brew and to add a little warmth / spice based on a 23 litre batch I put :

15 mins before end of boil - 2 sticks cinnamon, 5g allspice, grated peel from a small orange (no white pith)

This was on a recommendation from a head brewer. I actually halved the qtys as don't like to go overboard. Go easy with hop additions though as they can mask the taste of the additions.

Always best to put in during boil stage as anything that goes in post boil always has the chance of infecting the brew if it's got some nasties in it.

Hope that helps !

That's great, thank you!

Any suggestions on how to make it festive? Or is it the case of leave as is
I don't think I would personally. When I think of a Christmas beer I think dark and malty with festive spice, something like an old ale or a dubbel might be a better base beer.

Yep, sorry my response was on the basis of a general winter brew, not a particular other recipe. My Brew grain bill was Maris Otter / Pale as the bulk of the bill, balanced up with a bit of crystal malt and then a very small amount (no more than 1%) black malt to add a touch of colour / flavour. Moderately hopped.

Hope that helps !
How do you know when is the last 45 or 15 minutes?

Tks

Hi All,

Fairly new to homebrewing, picked it up during the first lockdown and i've been hooked ever since.

I have a belgian IPA receipe pack from GEB which i'm looking to brew over the coming days, it's my last 5l brew before biting the bullet and upgrading. I have a few brews under my belt now so i'd like to experiment a little, if i can, make it a little festive too. I was thinking of incorporating cinnamon into it somehow, bit unsure whether to add it to the mash, boil or ferment stage. Any advice would be welcomed! Equally, feel free to tell me its an bad idea and won't work ha!

Cheers,
Ryan

Hi, how the cinnamon brew go? Good taste? I love cinnamon, and I want try, but I thought putting at hops phase, but look to not be the recommendation.

Lehmann

Last edited:
Cinnamon have a strong taste and do not measure by sticks, use a scale. Also, if it's added before fermentation, could occur some biotransformation by the yeast. And you definitely can't take it off, after.
Some brewers do something similar to dry hopping. Could it be called dry sticking?

I tried tincture with high proof ethanol. Work with clove, as well. 1 to 2 weeks. Test in a sample and add at bottling.

My impression, I didn't like it. Cinnamon and clove doesn't pairs well with beer. But worth gives a shot. Maybe you like it.

Hi, how the cinnamon brew go? Good taste? I love cinnamon, and I want try, but I thought putting at hops phase, but look to not be the recommendation.

Lehmann
I decided against it after the advice in this thread, for the style of beer I was brewing. However it’s still on my radar to try this year

Latest posts

Back