CIP Pump for Corni Kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermaker

Regular.
Reaction score
I've got it into my head to make a CIP pump for my cornelius kegs as I'm an inherently lazy person and whilst they're easier to clean and fill than bottles, I still resent cleaning the buggers out! Anyway, I raked around in the attic and found a rather splendid magnetically coupled centrifugal pump which I bought years ago and squirreled away for just such an eventuality.

The pump will be perfect, I've designed a frame to hold it, found an old bucket to use as a sump/drain and all set to go, until it came to finding something to fit the push-fits on the pump. They're 1/2" JG female connects, and the cheapest I've found 1/2" tube to 1/2" hose barb is £37 for a pack of ten, plus postage!! My eyes nearly melted, thus was the offense caused to such a tight fisted yorkshireman! A hunt round the man-cave turned up no 1/2" tube which could be pressed into service, so I'll be raiding my dad's man cave on Tuesday night to see what he has, and failing that I'll be hitting the lathe!

By hook or by crook, I'll have a CIP system for my corni kegs and beer lines by the weekend!! Pics to follow when I get it sorted!

went to see my dad and bummed 1/2" brass seamless tube which fits the JG female fittings spot on. Coupled the pump up with some scragg ends of hose and tried the pump out. Works a treat, but was leaking everywhere! On further dismantling I found that an internal O ring which seals the pump outlet to the riser tube was perished so will source one tomorrow. I'm teaching at the workshop in the morning so taking the pump with me and will use some scrap ply to make the housing for the pump and all being well pictures will follow!

got the motor housing made today from scrap 12mm plywood and put a new o ring in the riser tube but it still leaks. It's a funny size - the rings were either too big in section or too small. Will try a bigger one tomorrow and ease it in with some silicone grease....

very pleased so far though, looking promising! will try to upload a pic in a bit if I can fathom my phone out!

This is the pump so far in it's plywood housing. Seems to work really well, apart from the sodding leak!! Hopefully get that sorted tomorrow and get a sump made from a bucket and a 15mm tank connector and 1/4 turn ball valve.

it's a clagger of a pump, made by Cornelius - not sure of the pressure head rating but it doesn't half whack a jet out! Hopefully get the leak sorted tomorrow :)

OK, the leak is sorted now - I used a slightly oversized O ring and a drop of 3 in 1 oil to ease it in :)

Spent a productive half hour at dinner time today and have used a plastic storage box, a brass tank connector, a 1/4 turn ball valve, a bit of copper pipe and a hose barb to assemble the sump. Will test it when I get home and take some pics :) Looking promising so far though!

assembled it, tested it, very pleased! Pump is a little noisy but I can live with that. Cleaning procedure for corni's is much easier now - rinse outside with a jet hose; lid off and jet out the inside a couple of times to remove loose cack; quick scrub to remove any deposits if needed; then into the keg cleaner! Chuck the lids in the sump, connect OUT post to pump outlet, leave pump running for a good five mins or so, then out. Good rinse out with cold water, swill with no-rinse sanitiser and then fill the bu**er up :) Job done!

The assembled system. excuse the lack of tiles on the wall!

Sanitiser in the sump ready. Lids are also soaking in here

Keg connected to the pump. The elbow allows the hose to leave the keg at a more favourable angle when it's upside down in the sump

The keg upside down in the sump. It was at this point I was told the pump was too noisy and I made a move to my shed!

The CIP system in use. Works well, although found that leaning the keg in a few different directions gave a more even covering of the inside of the keg (worked this out by feeling the keg walls as I was using hot sanitiser so could feel the wall warming up). Kegs came up lovely and shiny :) Very pleased! Definitely worth the effort I think.

Back