citra and simcoe ratios

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of both vocations American pale ale ( based around pride and joy that they make for marks and Spencer’s) and their own branded hop skip and juice.

Both lovely but very different beers so was surprised to find out they use the exactly the same hops as far as I can tel....... Just citra and simcoe.

The MS one is a east coat and Hops skip is a hazy so different grain bills, and yeast, water, timings etc will make a difference but even so, still amazed at the difference in hoppiness from the same hops. Thinking it most be in the ratios.

https://www.vocationbrewery.com/products/6pk-hop-skip-juice-5-7-hazy-pale-ale-440ml
https://www.vocationbrewery.com/collections/330ml-fridge-fillers/products/x12-pride-joy-br-5-3-br
So as a fan of both I’m going to attempt two beers influenced by each.

Already planned the west coast one and already got ingredients lined up. Extra pale, cara malt, 100g each of citra and simcoe, us 05.

Splitting hops 50 50 to get

60 mins 10 ibu

10 mins 10 ibu

20 mins Hop stand at 80c enough to get 15 ibu

Rest dry hopped.

Haven’t ordered for the second one yet but thinking

Hazy juice bomb

Golden promise xtra pale, oats, wheat malt. London fog or vrrdant

25 ibu all in hop stand. Not sure whether to go 50/50 or let one them be more dominant?

Big dry hop, again unsure of ratios.

thoughts people?

2nd one is right up my street, sounds delicious. 50/50% would work, I find Simcoe can be slightly resinous tasting, so would lean more towards citra, but very much personal taste. 25 IBUs is on the upper end for this style, but would be very tasty regardless. The yeast esters will be blown away by this hop pairing, so either of those options is fine. If you do water additions I'd go big on chloride for a full mouth feel.

I've yet to make a west coast that I'm happy with, so I have no comment on the first.

I might take the ibus down to twenty on the hazy but I do like some bitterness in there . It’s a hazy and I want it juicy but personally I don’t like full on NEIPAs

Temped to go 70 30 in citrus favour.

Just found this whilst researching WC IPAs West Coast IPA Recipe #2 | Scott Janish

.....This is the beer that made me a believer in the ratio of hops makes a difference. If this was a 50/50 split of Simcoe/Citra, I don’t think it would be the same beer....

good find. interesting. Lots of centinial in there two but looks to favour citra more in the hop stand and simcoe more in the dry hop!

will try that with one of them!

Yes it’s in the keg and will be ready in a week or two so can’t report back yet. I went 50 50 with citra and simcoe. 100g each. West coast style

About 20 each later in boil. 30g each hop stand and 50g each fry hop.

Latest posts

Back