Citra dry hop - cones v pellets?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyne_brewer

Regular.
Reaction score
I've seen various online articles regarding dry hopping, comparing leaf to pellets in a general fashion. Has anyone done a specific comparison just with Citra? I ask as the Nelson brewery do whole leaf Citra at a good price compared to the cost of pellets.

I can only speak for the few beers I've done to compare pellets to whole hops - and I've found the pellets to have more flavour/aroma gram for gram.

You will come across advocates of pellets and advocates of cones. I've used both many times and I am happy to use either and don't notice the difference if I'm honest. I sometimes buy cones from A Bushel of Hops cos it's all they sell and their hops are always really fresh. I buy pellets as they take up less freezer space! Fresh is good.

I only ever dry hop with pellets now. Cones just sit on the surface and take a long time to soak up the beer. Pellets seem to get to work straight away and eventually drop to the bottom, so you can rack the beer off easily.

Latest posts

Back