Citra IPA recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverShadow

Reaction score
Hey folks,

For my next brew I was planning to do a citra ipa recipe. Specifically an Oakham Citra clone, if such a recipe exists?

Has anyone found a reliable recipe they have previously used they could share please?

I'm planning on making it as a 10L biab, if anyone finds that useful šŸ˜‰

A maris otter citra smash.
One of my regular brews.

I can send the recipe in Brewfather for you to scale, if you use that? Or basics are below.

100% Maris Otter to 1.053
Mash at 66C 1 hour

Boil 1 hour. No 60min hops.
Citra 17IBU each at 20 mins, 10mins and 5mins
For me this is 21g/31g/41g in a boil start of 36.5L

Then a 30 minute 80C Citra hop stand for 6 IBU. For me this is 31g

US-05 at 19C until done.

Hey bud, cheers for that šŸ˜

Dont have brewfather (yet), but I'll be acquainting myself with that soon šŸ˜‰

For your brew, do you use a set Kg amount of maris otter? And what is the initial mash volume you use please?

Many thanks

Boil 1 hour. No 60min hops.

Not seen this technique before. So 40 mins of 'empty' boil (grains removed),then 20 mins, and so on?

What is gained by boiling the wort? Or am I misunderstanding?

Not seen this technique before. So 40 mins of 'empty' boil (grains removed),then 20 mins, and so on?

What is gained by boiling the wort? Or am I misunderstanding?
One of us is missing something here... probably me... :)
Don't you boil your wort after mashing?
Or is it the boiling with no hops in for the first 40 mins that you're referring to?

I boil for 45 minutes and if making a hoppy beer do not even use any hops until I whirlpool not even bittering hops which I rarely use these days.I get my bittering from the whirlpool hops which enables me to put larger amounts of hops in with less bittering so I can have tons of flavour with lower IBU's( I do not like over bitter beers)

Yes. This.
Although I never tested this specifically, there are some negative reports about Citra as an early bittering addition.
Leaving it later in the boil might reduce that. A lot of NEIPA recipes for example have no early bittering addition. There's enough bitterness for the style available in the last 20 mins with some high AAs.
Have a go and see what you think.

I boil for 45 minutes and if making a hoppy beer do not even use any hops until I whirlpool not even bittering hops which I rarely use these days.I get my bittering from the whirlpool hops which enables me to put larger amounts of hops in with less bittering so I can have tons of flavour with lower IBU's( I do not like over bitter beers)
I too am a big fan of whirlpool hop additions for flavour - I canā€™t see the point in boiling-off hop oils. The question that comes to mind is what are the objectives of the first 45 minutes of the boil? Is 45 minutes the right length of time to achieve them or could the boil be shortened? Iā€™ve never omitted bittering hops altogether. Typically, what hopping rate and temperature/time profile do you use for your whirlpool rests to achieve both flavour and bitterness, please?

Yes some do shorten it down to 30 mins.
But there are other reasons just than isomerising the hops, to kill any bacteria nd stop enzyme activity from the mash, to reduce the wort down to a stronger wort, to increase the colour again by boil off, to drive of any volatile compounds and to reduce the PH of the wort there may be many more reasons too but they are just a few to mention.
I still do a 45 min boil but some have gone as low as 30 mins with no problem according to their reports

Hopping rate depends on the style, if I am doing a IPA style I will do probably upto 150g in the whirlpool and then a smaller dry hop again depends on hops too.
If doing a large whirlpool I will do it from 75c and then do a 30 min stand(I do not keep the temp at 75c but let it cool naturally within the 30 min.
If I am doing a smaller hop amount say a Golden/Blonde I may do it at 85c with no dry hop.
I get enough bittering from these alone to suit my taste

Hopping rate depends on the style, if I am doing a IPA style I will do probably upto 150g in the whirlpool and then a smaller dry hop again depends on hops too.
If doing a large whirlpool I will do it from 75c and then do a 30 min stand(I do not keep the temp at 75c but let it cool naturally within the 30 min.
If I am doing a smaller hop amount say a Golden/Blonde I may do it at 85c with no dry hop.
I get enough bittering from these alone to suit my taste
Thank you @the baron - I feel some research/experiments coming on!

A maris otter citra smash.
One of my regular brews.

I can send the recipe in Brewfather for you to scale, if you use that? Or basics are below.

100% Maris Otter to 1.053
Mash at 66C 1 hour

Boil 1 hour. No 60min hops."
For me this is 21g/31g/41g in a boil start of 36.5L

Then a 30 minute 80C Citra hop stand for 6 IBU. For me this is 31g

US-05 at 19C until done.

Very keen to try this as Oakham Citra is one of my favourites.
Can you explain what you mean by "a 30 minute 80C Citra hop stand"?
Is that literally a 30 min simmer of the hops at 80 degrees?

Also - what yeast would you use?

Very keen to try this as Oakham Citra is one of my favourites.
Can you explain what you mean by "a 30 minute 80C Citra hop stand"?
Is that literally a 30 min simmer of the hops at 80 degrees?

Also - what yeast would you use?
Drop wort temp to 80c then chuck in your hops and leave for half hour.

Drop wort temp to 80c then chuck in your hops and leave for half hour.

Do you add 21g hops after 40 mins, 31g after 50 mins and 41g after 55 mins or is it accumulative, i.e 21g + 10g + 10g?
How much do you add for the final 30 min stand?

Yes,add the req amount at the times stated. Its generalised that the hop additions are added at ",boil time remaining" rather than ",boil time elapsed". Its the same thing but its better if we all speak the same language if you like! But remember you'll need to use some software to achieve the results you want or replicate a recipe as more than likely the hops you buy will have a different AAU% (amount of bitterness).

Do you add 21g hops after 40 mins, 31g after 50 mins and 41g after 55 mins or is it accumulative, i.e 21g + 10g + 10g?
How much do you add for the final 30 min stand?

It's separate - 21g, 31g, 41g (for my boil volume, scale it for yours)
For the hopstand I use the same amount as the 10 minute addition, in my case 31g.

what. level of bitterness do you get from that? Thats pretty much what I do With all hoppy beers, but it doesnā€™t cool much during the 20 or 30 mins.

ive assumed below 78c there are no ibus added?

Back