Citra Pale Ale

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Dave 666

Regular.
Reaction score
Lots of people 'no chill'
Hmm, is there certain conditions, process or equipment required for this I wonder?. As surely it can't just be as simple as transferring wort to the FV at flame out, sticking the lid on and waiting overnight to pitch the yeast at room temp the next day?.

thewelshwizard1

Celler boy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always used a wort chiller, and it works efficiently with no issues for me.

Dave 666

Regular.
Reaction score
I've always used a wort chiller, and it works efficiently with no issues for me.
Forgive my ignorance & lack of knowledge in this area as never gave cooling much attention beyond iced water. But in looking on eBay & Amazon etc, all I can find are the copper coils for wort cooling\chilling there is assumingly a cooling source or device to power the cooling process?. If so what are they called or should I be looking at?.

Hengoedbrewer

Regular.
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance & lack of knowledge in this area as never gave cooling much attention beyond iced water. But in looking on eBay & Amazon etc, all I can find are the copper coils for wort cooling\chilling there is assumingly a cooling source or device to power the cooling process?. If so what are they called or should I be looking at?.
You attach the chiller to your tap and run cold water through them to cool your wort. I don't actually have one (I wanted one but can't justify it being on a water meter!) but that's how they work. It's a heat transfer device basically.

cushyno

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, is there certain conditions, process or equipment required for this I wonder?. As surely it can't just be as simple as transferring wort to the FV at flame out, sticking the lid on and waiting overnight to pitch the yeast at room temp the next day?.
The no chill method makes use of a plastic Jerry can that is filled with the almost boiling wort to sterilise it. When filled all air squeezed out before the cap is put on with no air trapped inside. Zero air gives no oxidation, and prevents awful things like botulism, so I believe.

Google "no chill cube".

The cube is left to cool overnight.

GerritT

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, very correct. I leave it for a few hours outsido to get the temps below 80° for the flameoff hops, and pitch in the (course of the) morning.

decanter2020

Reaction score
Crap, forgot to come back with impressions. We kicked the keg of this last week, it was a hit. Stuck with all Citra, will try the amarillo next time. Checked my logbook, and fwiw mashed in for 60 at 151 degrees.