Citrus pale ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portreath

Landlord.
Reaction score
I fancy having a go at a pale ale with a slight citrus twist. What is the best method for achieving this, i.e. in the mash, the boil or the FV. If anyone has any experiences of adding lemon, lime or orange, it would be great to hear your thoughts.

US Hops the " C " type ones.....use after boil at around 90 Degree.......Learn your Hop charts which is growing as a write......Hops from Down under are worth looking at.

Dry hopping is cool too....

I did this "SMASH with Citra" back in February of this year and it still has a lovely taste of citrus!

SMASH WITH CITRA
Brewed 15-16/02/18

INGREDIENTS
4.25kg Maris Otter Malt.
20g Citra Hop Leaf.
Wilco Ale Yeast.
Protafloc Tablet.
Yeast Nutrient.

DAY ONE
Preparation

Put on Wilco Ale Yeast Starter.
Mill 4.25kg of Maris Otter.
Mash
Strike Water at 80*C and 3.0 litres per 1kg of grain = 14.0 litres.
Dough in and Mash for 60 minutes at 68*C
Sparge water at 85*C.
Lauter until clear then sparge at 1 litre per minute to fill Boiler to 30 litres.

DAY TWO
Preparation

Prepare Hop Bags:.
  • 1 x 15g Citra Hop Leaf. (would now use 25g)
  • 1 x 5g Citra Hop Leaf. (would now use 15g)
Put out Protafloc Tablet.
Put out Yeast Nutrient.
Boil
Boil with 15g of Citra Bittering Hops for 60 minutes.
Add Protafloc tablet and boil for 10 minutes.
Flameout.
Add 5g of Citra Leaf Aroma Hops and steep for 30 minutes before cooling. (would now use 10g)
Cool to 19*C, whirlpool, run off into FV, make up to 23 litres, take OG, add Yeast Nutrient and Yeast Starter.
Ferment at 19*C in Brew Fridge 2increasing to 21*C.

Bottle with 70g of Brewing Sugar and Hop Tea made from 15g of Citra Hop Leaf.

DETAILS
OG = 1.045
FG = 1.006
ABV = 5.12%

Notes:
  1. I actually used an overnight Mash but won't do it again because I didn't feel in control of the situation.
  2. As indicated, I would now use more Citra Hops but at the time I wasn't sure whether or not I would like the taste. I do!

Citra?? He wants citrus, not cat p***!! Not my bag, but the one time I used Cascade I thought the Man from DelMonte had just walked thru' the door.

Worth mentioning if you're looking for something a bit hop forward pick a more hop forward freindly yeast.. US05 for ease is a good choice ..

Don't jus t chuck gervin/ wilko nottingham in as it can be a little suppressant on the hops

Wow

Sounds a good recipe ive copied it, I think I might just change the hop area slightly for my taste.

thanks

Citra?? He wants citrus, not cat p***!! Not my bag, but the one time I used Cascade I thought the Man from DelMonte had just walked thru' the door.

Lol, i love citra and could never understand wtf the cats **** thing was about. That is until i had a Whitbread (i think) citra pale ale around my friends house after he passed out. Firk me it really did taste pissy, horrible horrible. Also smelled like.... I just wonder what special technique they use to make one of my favourite hops taste so so bad.

I'll be bottling 23l of Citra based ale today.
I used Target for bittering then at flameout, cooled to 80C I added 50g of Citra for a 10 minute steep. I added 50g of Citra dry for the last 3 days in the FV. Gervin GV12 yeast and it will be lovely! I've brewed the same kind of thing a good few times before. It help to retain a bit of sweetness in the beer to enhance the citrus flavour.
Mosaic hops will give even more intensity but not quite such a citrus vibe.

Back