Cjj Berry book.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig57

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just bought the above book to try my hand at making wine from scratch. Can I ask a possible daft question. In the majority of his recipes he always says Yeast and nutrient. But never mentions quantity.
Looking at the yeast I have it says add 1 heaped tsp to 1 gallon. Which is straight forward enough, however it doesn't mention anything about the nutrient only saying use grape juice but again some recipes don't have that in it yet still requires nutrients with no quantity being stated?
Any advice please?
Thanks

A level teaspoon per gallon will do the job ;)

1620408554053.png

Young's Yeast Nutrient 100g (brew2bottle.co.uk)

is this to be used instead or as well as the grape juice? And thanks for the pic Chippy, a big help.

Actual grape juice always improves a home made fruit wine. I had 2x CJJB wine books - the first has the descriptions of what to do and some recipes and the second was just recipes. As the books date back to the 1960's when it was first legal to make HB again, you may think that there may be more availability of all sorts of ingredients than back in those days.

Wine has always been legal to make in the uk.
It was distillation and the brewing of beer that was illegal.
Distillation remains illegal.
Brewing beers/lager was made legal 3/4/1963.

Of course no selling is allowed either by cash payment,or by exchange of goods.

'Of course no selling is allowed either by cash payment,or by exchange of goods.'

Did not know that. During the lockdown, when permissible I visited a friend and took a bottle or two of brew to share.
He, a very competent gardener, started giving me a bag of produce and a a box of eggs and that continued until the last lockdown. Now its a warming up again its about to restart! Technically guess we are breaking the law

You can give away free as much as you like.

I remember a few years back a pub giving away free beer whilst waiting for their license to be sorted.

You just cant accept payment or payment in kind for it.

Latest posts

Back