Clarify Beer with.....Oats

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavensBrew

Reaction score
By chance, I had a short conversation with the brewer for a microbrewery and pub. I asked about how they clarify beer and he stated that they simply add some rolled oats(porridge/oatmeal) to the grain bill. They id not use Irish Moss Whirlflock tablets or anything else. However, he did not answer the question of how many grams for a 20L batch. Conversation was then cut short.

Anybody used this technique and can comment on it?

hmmm, aren't flaked oats used in NEIPA? They don't seem to clarify it much ;)
There is a study on the use of Oats in beer HERE

Last edited:
+1 to the above I never heard of oats having any benefit for clarity and certainly don't replace kettle finings.

I could not find any reference to this, so I thought this would be the place to ask. I will probably see them again on Wednesday and so I will see if I can ask for more info.

I was about to call 🐃💩 then remembered I have a wheat beer with CML Kristallweizen that is clear as a bell and has 150g rolled oats in a 15.5l batch. I did do a 52c 20 min protein rest though. Maybe a fluke?

Yep, I agree it’s a great yeast from what I’ve seen and despite the abuse I’ve given it (39c!). But I assumed the yeast itself will readily drop out and leave behind the proteins/fats that the oats brought to the table. Maybe the hazy stuff was attracted to cling to the yeast and it pulled it down with it, or perhaps my modest 3.7% of porridge had less of a contribution than I imagined?
Maybe a White IPA with a stoopid amount of oats and KW yeast would make an interesting experiment. Sounds like something @Drunkula would be all over!

CE3-C64-FE-E632-403-A-B53-B-7-E2-EEB2001-B7.gif

Mind. Blown.

Thank you for your research.

To answer others, the brewer is in Italy and produces some surprisingly good and pretty clear beers. He still wouldn't tell me how much rolled oats to use though.

PS. From producing some shocking overly gassy beers, a large number of microbreweries have appeared in Italy in the last 3 years. Some are still making some dreadful drinks (beer infused with basel was the worst I have sipped and spat out so far), but some are making a decent pint.

Thank you for your research.

To answer others, the brewer is in Italy and produces some surprisingly good and pretty clear beers. He still wouldn't tell me how much rolled oats to use though.

PS. From producing some shocking overly gassy beers, a large number of microbreweries have appeared in Italy in the last 3 years. Some are still making some dreadful drinks (beer infused with basel was the worst I have sipped and spat out so far), but some are making a decent pint.

Italian Pilsner is a great style and I have a lot of love for some of the beer coming out of Italy at the moment. TipoPils is excellent.

Latest posts

Back