Clarity...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghillie

Landlord.
Reaction score
Gents, here's one which is a little bit of a head-scratcher...

Kegged a lager a few weeks back which was the clearest beer I've made to date; gently racking from the top and did a very good job if I don't say so myself:laugh8: This one I was extra cautious about as to bring nothing but beer into the keg. I could literally read a book through it in the glass.

The last 3 weeks of the FV's life was spent in the garage cold crashing over the cold snap where we were regularly in the minus. At point of kegging, ambient/beer temp was hovering around 2C. Into the keg as detailed above and into the keezer at about 4C.

Now after force carbing, I'm finding that the beer has more haze to it, which is strange. This isn't chill haze because the beer was crashed colder than serving temp. I've made a few lagers but typically brew hoppy pales, so clairty is normally good, but only as good as you'd expect with large steep and/or DH additions.

Has anyone associated the turbulence of force carbing with temporary haze? This is my only theory, would be interested to hear from others.

Cheers all!

Chill haze?
Confident it's not as for a large period of the cold crashing - the ambient temperature was lower than the keezer temperature. The slight haze remains when the beer warms too.

It was only in the keg for a week, so I'm going to be interested to see whether it drops clear in time.

It was only in the keg for a week

No matter how well you think you've avoided gunk when racking, there's always some. Give it another week and see if it drops clear. Also, the first couple of pints is where the gunk will be.

I've just kegged what looked like crystal clear Kolsch, which will no doubt look like pond water for the first few pulls :laugh8:

Agree with Harry. If you find that a period of settled time in the keg doesn't clear the beer, you could see if fining will clear things up. That should tell you what kind of haze you're dealing with.

I’ve not seen this myself but understand that if you use a low floculation yeast the beer can appear clear but over the next few hours or days start to become a little cloudy as floculation of suspended yeast continues/resumes. I assume this must be associated with a temperature change or the beer wouldn’t have become clear first.

Is this a possibility? If so I’d assume it will drop out as usual in the keg.

Last edited:
I’ve not seen this myself but understand that if you use a low floculation yeast the beer can appear clear but over the next few hours or days start to become a little cloudy as floculation of suspended yeast continues/resumes. I assume this must be associated with a temperature change or the beer wouldn’t have become clear first.

Is this a possibility? If so I’d assume it will drop out as usual in the keg.
It's Wyeast Pilsen 2007 which is medium floc. Given it's a bottom fermenting yeast by default (and I racked from the top) I'd be surprised if I got much transferred across, especially with a cold crash.

Nevertheless time will tell!

So after a bit of patience @Dutto, we’re clear as a bellathumb..

I’m still convinced that there’s an element of turbulence from the force carbing that makes things all that more hazy, in the short term.

Poured a flat one straight after kegging and she was crystal. Let the carb commence and she went hazy.

Now a crystal brew even in a dirty stolen Tennents glass (circa ‘08). Looking forward to my next lager (mate’s 30th) which is in the primary fermentation stage currently and will be kegged in around 4 weeks and not touched until the tail end of Sept!

Cheers all (Clockwork can for reference).

IMG_1830.jpg

So after a bit of patience @Dutto, we’re clear as a bellathumb..

Congratulations! athumb..

However, predictions - they always come back to haunt you! aheadbutt

This afternoon, I managed to force down a glass of the "IPA with Grapefruit Juice" which was kegged on 20th January and carbonated at only 5psi. It still hasn't cleared but it has mellowed a bit.

It's still so cloudy that I can hardly see through it and though it is "drinkable" it's no where near a decent pint! Ah well, at least I have 10 litres in a PB that can be left until the summer to see what happens in the long-term.

In the meantime I will finish off the brew in the Growler so "Here's hoping!" as usual. athumb..

Congratulations! athumb..

However, predictions - they always come back to haunt you! aheadbutt

This afternoon, I managed to force down a glass of the "IPA with Grapefruit Juice" which was kegged on 20th January and carbonated at only 5psi. It still hasn't cleared but it has mellowed a bit.

It's still so cloudy that I can hardly see through it and though it is "drinkable" it's no where near a decent pint! Ah well, at least I have 10 litres in a PB that can be left until the summer to see what happens in the long-term.

In the meantime I will finish off the brew in the Growler so "Here's hoping!" as usual. athumb..
I’m sure it will improve in time pal. How did you add the grapefruit? @Ray1314 has made some excellent grapefruit beers which I’ve had the pleasure of trying. Wonder if the process was similar?

Also, why only the 5PSI? Sounds like a wee bit of a flat beer to me? In my limited, and bigoted experience, I’ve had beers go from “horrendous” to “decent” when carbed right.

But as long in the tooth as you are, there must be method in your madness!?:laugh8:

......... How did you add the grapefruit? .......

Also, why only the 5PSI? ......

All I did was add a one litre carton of Tesco Grapefruit Juice to a Wilko Kit.

I'm not sure why this brew isn't clearing as well as the first one that I tried (Pink Grapefruit Juice into a Wilko Light Golden Lager Kit) which cleared beautifully as per the photograph within a couple of days!

IMG_1581.jpg

With regard to the brew being "flat", I hate a gassy beer so I carbonate everything at 5psi. However, note the head on this one compared to the Wilko Sweet Newkie Brown one below. They were both carbonated and held at 5psi ...

IMG_1649.jpg

... but one day I might invest in a second pressure controller, if the mood takes me and I feel flush with money! athumb..

Back