Clean old beer bottles.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been given some old Boots beer bottles that have a load of crud in the bottom. I've tried to clean them with; a bottle brush, soaked in Oxy plus, washing up liquid and bleach. All to no avail, have managed to get most of it off but still some remains. Any suggestions?

1628591039639.png

I'm sure you didn't use the above colon cleanse on your bottles but it might be worth a shot if nothing else works (just kidding).
If you're talking about Oxiclean, I agitate them every half hour or so for a day. Sticking a finger in a half-filled bottle and shaking the heck out of it for a bit helps.
On the drill method, some bottle brushes can be bent to hit the sides and not just the middle. Might take a minute to find the correct brush.

View attachment 52359
I'm sure you didn't use the above colon cleanse on your bottles but it might be worth a shot if nothing else works (just kidding).
If you're talking about Oxiclean, I agitate them every half hour or so for a day. Sticking a finger in a half-filled bottle and shaking the heck out of it for a bit helps.
On the drill method, some bottle brushes can be bent to hit the sides and not just the middle. Might take a minute to find the correct brush.
Ha ha 😁
I plan to try finding the right bottle brush as that would probably work 👍

Oxy is not strong enough. Sodiumhydroxide (NaOH) for dissolving organic matter and hydrochloric acide for dissolving non-organic matter. Dangerous stuff unfortunately.

put some 1/8 inch grit in the bottle, a few inches of cold water, thumb on top of bottle, skake vigorously and swirl, job done........

Thin chain or failing that even gravel shaken around in the bottle shifts nearly everything.

If you can’t get them clean with oxy and or attrition, then I would put them in the recycle, asyiu cannot be sure that they will be sterile. Pre COVID I asked my local publican to save me any old bottles that he had. I ended up with 500 bottles in a very short period of time.

I have been given some old Boots beer bottles that have a load of crud in the bottom. I've tried to clean them with; a bottle brush, soaked in Oxy plus, washing up liquid and bleach. All to no avail, have managed to get most of it off but still some remains. Any suggestions?
Bin em

Peculiar they won't clean up.
I have recently been collecting 50 to 100 year-old internal screw top brewery bottles for use. Sad I know, but true.
Some of these have been gleaned off landfills by sellers so can be fairly crudded up inside.
Using your methods of hot detergent soaks, rinse, oxyclean soak, rinse, microfiber strips inserted in rod right to the end and slow drilled using any cleaner you like.
They appear clean enough (difficult to see through 1/4" thick sometimes black glass).
No infections since recommencing brewing in over a year now.
The only problem I have encountered is occasional failure of the original Ebonite/Vulcanite screw-in stoppers to hold conditioning beer pressure having gone porous.
After Oxyclean they should be sterile anyway.
Just try them and see.
Store outside in case of exploding bottles though!

Latest posts

Back