Cleaners and Sanitisers (Dilution Rates and Uses Guide)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here is a list of cleaners and sanitisers with dilution rates and a brief descriptions for members looking for an alternative to what they currently use.

This was posted here many moons ago (see post #3) i take no responsibility if you follow any of the instructions and cause an explosion. :laugh8:

If you decide to try any of the cleaners and sanitisers listed below be careful, wear rubber gloves and in some cases thick heavy duty rubber gloves, wear eye protection, and don't spill them on any surface you may want to keep looking nice and most importan keep out of reach of children!

Washing Soda 2 tablespoons per Litre
Also known as Sodium Carbonate.
The crystals are dissolved in hot water and the equipment left to soak for about 20 minutes.
Rinse equipment thoroughly after use.
Not as effective as Caustic Soda and no sterilising power.

OxyClean 1 Scoop per 10 litre for light cleaning, 1 scoop per 2.5 litre for heavy cleaning.
Good all purpose cleaner with no sterilising powers.
Best mixed with warm to hot water.
Cleaning action lasts for 6 hrs.
Do not store mixed solution in sealed bottles, the oxygen released will cause it to pop.
Will need rinsing prior to sterilising.

Household Bleach 2.5ml per Litre
Can be used diluted with water to clean and sterilise plastic equipment and glass bottles.
Thick bleach is better at cleaning as it foams and thin bleach is better at sterilising (don't use the fragranced stuff it may leave some flavours in your equipment)
Corrosive to stainless steel if left for any length of time and will also blacken and corrode brass and copper.
Needs thorough rinsing of cleaned items with hot water to remove any taints.
Precautions needed when handling are goggles and rubber gloves.

VWP 1/2 teaspoon per Litre
An all purpose chlorine based cleaner/steriliser. Can be mixed to the above ratio in warm water will clean all your homebrewing equipment in around 10 minutes. It WILL release a chlorine based gas and care should be taken not to inhale it when you first add it to your water and any other time.
Will need several hot water rinses to remove any taints that may be left.
It's known for sticking around inside Fv's etc.
Wear gloves and goggles.

Videne 1.25ml per Litre
You need the Antiseptic Solution not the Tincture. This is a No rinse solution at the above rate and is only a steriliser it has no cleaning powers and is Iodophor based.
Can be mixed up into spray bottles and stored until it the colour fades, ideally with low alkalinity and Chlorine Free water.

Five Star, Io Star 1.5ml per Litre for a spray on solution.
A product from the USA same principals as Videne but has loads more info on the Fact sheets see Clicky.
This sheet gives differing contact times per usage and strengths. But for most home brewers usage this would be the above ratio with 1 min contact time and drain, No need to rinse.
Wear gloves and goggles.

Five Star, Star San 1.5ml per Litre
Star San is a blend of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid and is also a self foaming sanitizer. It can be applied through a foamer to produce self-adhering sanitizing foam for external sanitation.
It is not recommended to use STAR SAN on soft metals because of the acid nature of this product. At the above ratio a 1-2 min contact time is recommended, Star san is a no rinse sanitiser.
Wear gloves and goggles.
Undiluted star San can bleach kitchen work tops.

Star San 1.5ml per Litre
Another ââ¬Återminal disinfectant based on phosphoric acid which again doesn't need rinsing, this product is diluted with water and may be sprayed on items or just used as a rinse.
The solution may be re-used as long as the pH stays below about 3.0.
Not suitable for dilution with hard water as the alkalinity will partly neutralise the acid causing it to be ineffective. Precautions, use goggles and rubber gloves when handling the concentrated product.

Antiformin S 1-2% solution in cold Water
This product is a caustic based cleaner with an added chlorine donor. It comes supplied in liquid form and will thoroughly clean equipment whilst being effective against most bacteria.
This is not corrosive to stainless steel when used at the recommended dilution and rinsed with hot water.
But is corrosive to Aluminium and Zinc.
Needs thorough rinsing after use. Precautions needed when handing are goggles and rubber gloves.

Caustic Soda 25 gram per Litre
Also known as Sodium Hydroxide, this cheap and powerful cleaner is available in crystal form and may be used for normal cleaning and sterilisation purposes by making up in cold water, or for heavily soiled items and stubborn deposits at 50g per 1L of water. The advantages are a very effective cleaner whilst also providing some degree of sterilising power.
A very thorough rinsing with hot water is necessary after use and this cleaner is strongly corrosive to aluminium, also will leave deposits on vessels when used in areas with very hard water. Precautions needed when handling are goggles and heavy duty rubber gloves, as this product can cause severe burns to skin.

Fam 30
5.5ml per liter
A Iodophor based disinfectant designed for dairy use as a no rinse terminal disinfectant, but also has cleaning powers at the above ratio's.
Can be purchased from farm supplies stores and only comes in 5 ltr containers.
An alternative to the more nasty Peracetic Acid.
Use gloves and goggles

Peracetic Acid 10ml per Litre
This has in recent years become the standard disinfectant for the brewing industry and is a blend of hydrogen peroxide and acetic acid which is extremely effective against a wide range of bacteria. It's supplied as a 5% solution which is diluted with cold water and may be conveniently sprayed on pre-cleaned items.
Can be used as a soak solution at the above rate, recommended contact time for soaking is 20 mins but anything over 30 seconds will have worked. Peracetic Acid may be used as a terminal disinfectant ½ immediately prior to use and does not require rinsing. Will not corrode stainless steel.
Don't use on Copper or Zinc. No cleaning power. Extremely harmful to skin. Precautions needed are goggles and heavy duty rubber gloves strongly recommended.
This is also a mucosal irritant, do not inhale, use in a very well ventilated area, the vapours alone will make your eyes stream.

Last edited:
Superb guide, thanks Chippy! Think I'll moved to using Star San with a bottle rinser for its highly reported convenience.

If you choose a no-rinse sanitiser, does the equipment have to be totally dry before you use it? And if so, is a 'clean' teatowel, clean enough to use (are ordinary airborne germs in the teatowel drawer harmful?!) or should I air dry? Thanks.

The OP got me worried with the report on OxyClean as I use Chemipro OXI. It was therefore a great relief to realise that they are two different products. :thumb:

Chemipro OXI 1kg No Rinse Steriliser

Chemipro OXI is intended for cleaning and sterilising all brewing equipment in an effective and environmentally friendly manner with no rinsing required!

Description

Chemipro OXI is supplied as a crystalline, water soluble substance and is a compound of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. It dissolves into water rapidly to release oxygen and provides powerful cleaning, bleaching, stain removal and de-odourising capabilities.

Methods of Use

Chemipro OXI cleans and disinfects by means of active oxygen. Mix 4 grams into 1 litre of water.

Soak for for 15 minutes and allow to drain. Vessels should be turned upside down if possible and left until dry.

It provides 250 litres of sterilising fluid per kilogram at a cost of about 28p per litre.

I particularly like the "soapy" feel that it gives to my hands when I am handling fiddly things that must stay sterile such as the flip-tops and rubber seals for flip-top bottles and the new caps on capped bottles.

I was wondering where Chemipro Oxi was :) I've only used that one so far and never had an infection.

I use Star San to steralise but looking for a good cleaner that I can get in local shops but can't find any of those on the list. Where would I get a good oxi cleaner?

Will check poundland. I looked in B&M but couldn't see any

Got this from B&M when it was on special before Christmas.

jjjjjjj.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 217
Last edited by a moderator:
I've never used anything but plain water for cleaning
But I use starsan to sanitise
Is that ok ??

If you choose a no-rinse sanitiser, does the equipment have to be totally dry before you use it? And if so, is a 'clean' teatowel, clean enough to use (are ordinary airborne germs in the teatowel drawer harmful?!) or should I air dry? Thanks.

Hi!
Your equipment does not need to be dry after applying a no-rinse sanitiser.
Star San is well-known for producing copious amounts of foam; this is totally harmless. "Don't fear the foam," is the watchword of brewers who use Star San.

I use Milton tablets no rinse and work in 15 minutes.

(Bumping an old thread as cleaners and sterilisers have been discussed recently)

1.jpg

I'm the same as @Chippy_Tea. Milton or Tesco equivalent. One tablet for a 5l/ a demijohn, and can reuse the solution for quite a few times over several days. Works really well, and no nasty corrosive chemicals involved, and doesn't need excessive rinsing compared to a lot of stuff (I do tend to rinse 2-3 times with a bit of water though). If it is safe for baby's bottles, it is definitely good for me. Oh, and pretty cheap too!

isn't Milton just dilute bleach ? I use Tesco dilute bleach - dirt cheap..........

I'm the same as @Chippy_Tea. Milton or Tesco equivalent. One tablet for a 5l/ a demijohn, and can reuse the solution for quite a few times over several days. Works really well, and no nasty corrosive chemicals involved, and doesn't need excessive rinsing compared to a lot of stuff (I do tend to rinse 2-3 times with a bit of water though). If it is safe for baby's bottles, it is definitely good for me. Oh, and pretty cheap too!

I fill a washing up bowl and put two tablets in i then put everything i am going to use in the bowl and pour approximately 2 mugs of Milton into each demijohn i am going to use i then put a solid bung in and swirl it round so all internal surfaces are covered i do this a couple of times during the 15 minutes it takes to do its thing, i never rinse as the instructions say its not necessary.

gnelson You are only supposed to use it for 24 hours before binning it. (see below)

Key features
  • Expertly developed to sterilise in 15 minutes all baby items using cold water
  • The Milton cold water method of sterilising has been used by mums and midwives for over 70 years
  • Kill 99.9% of germs
  • Ideal for use at home, travel and overnight stays
  • No need to rinse
  • Solution works for 24 hours
  • Use to sterilise all breastfeeding equipment and baby feeding accessories : breast pump parts, baby bottles, soothers, teething rings, small plastic toys, plastic cutlery, weaning bowls
  • Simply drop 1 tablet into 5 litres of clean cold water. Let the tablet dissolve to form the Sterilising Solution.
  • Made in Great Britain

Back