Cleaning a second hand fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m probably just taking bad because brew fridge number one was so immaculate when I got it (although it did cost me £40). I’m also struggling for room in the garage until I get my shed delivered which exacerbates the problem, and makes it more difficult to get in and properly clean it.

I’ve still decided I’m dumping it and will look for a second fridge in the spring time when the garage is my brewery/gym instead of a dumping ground.

Just so nobody thinks my parents live in filth, they only moved into their house in August.

Point taken! SWMBO takes at least three days to clean our tiny house when visitors are due.

She gets really mad when I point out "We must live in abject squalor the rest of the time!"

PS

Dumping a £40 fridge? Are you mad? Get a spray bottle, mix up a strong solution of bleach, give it a good spray, wipe it down until it's dry, then spray it again and leave the door open for 24 hours.

Keep repeating until you get fed up and/or the smell has gone! When all's said and done, unless a rat or something similar has died inside the insulation, it will probably be black mould that's causing the smell

PS

Dumping a £40 fridge? Are you mad? Get a spray bottle, mix up a strong solution of bleach, give it a good spray, wipe it down until it's dry, then spray it again and leave the door open for 24 hours.
No, I dumped a free fridge although re-reading my post I can see how it looks like that.

I was planning on having 2 fridges so fridge number 1 is the £40 and fridge number 2 is the free one from my parents that I dumped yesterday.

It wasn’t the inside that was the problem (after I poured the zoflora down the drain hole the inside stunk of flowers but the outside, and my entire garage, stunk of mouldy cheese just with a slight hint of flowers). It was like something had died in the motor!

My £40 fridge is currently cold crashing my EKG SMaSH. It was immaculate bar a slight scent of garlic and, now I’ve finally got my tube heater (2 weeks after I originally ordered it for Prime next day delivery), I can’t wait to get it going properly.

Last edited:
........... (2 weeks after I originally ordered it for Prime next day delivery),...........

Yesterday I cancelled my Prime Membership because:
  1. "Next Day" was nowhere near being reliable!
  2. I queried a pending payment from "Prime" for £43 and neither I nor they could tell me what it was for!
  3. I got an e-mail from the French arm (I have used them occasionally in France) telling me they didn't understand my request; even though I hadn't contacted them!
  4. Barclaycard decided that the pending payment was an attempted fraud. (I am now waiting for a new Credit Card.)
It was good while it worked but ..... !!

PS

I don't know exactly how you will tell the people who gave you the fridge that it stunk your garage out! That is terribly thin ice you are skating on there so I wish you luck on that one! :eek:

I don't know exactly how you will tell the people who gave you the fridge that it stunk your garage out! That is terribly thin ice you are skating on there so I wish you luck on that one! :eek:
I’m sure I said much worse to them than “your old fridge stinks!” during my teenage years!

Latest posts

Back