Cleaning and sterilising swing top bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guzzie

Reaction score
Up to now I have been using 500ml bottles which I wash and then soak in Youngs Steriliser and Cleaner before filling and capping. I have a number of ex Monchshof bottles which have swing tops and I would like advise as to how to clean/sterilise them - do I remove the swing top and clean it separately - just the seal - or soak the bottle with assembly attached ?
Thanks.

Hi, my cleaning is very basic but so far no problems..rinse bottle thoroughly straight after I've emptied it,general wash under running tap, spray with star San all around the swing top,star San in bottle, shake, tip out, leave swing top stopper just resting on bottle opening.When I need to use again I rinse with star San and drain on bottle tree just before bottling.

Hi, my cleaning is very basic but so far no problems..rinse bottle thoroughly straight after I've emptied it,general wash under running tap, spray with star San all around the swing top,star San in bottle, shake, tip out, leave swing top stopper just resting on bottle opening.When I need to use again I rinse with star San and drain on bottle tree just before bottling.
That's not basic that's a good regime, rinsing bottles after emptying is one of the best things you can do as it removes beer and yeast traces from the bottles meaning less hard work when cleaning for next use and that's what I do it saves hours of cleaning with just a rinse needed then starsan to be ready for the next beer athumb..

Latest posts

Back