Cleaning beer lines with a drill powered pump

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dexter1759

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly, I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I have recently built my first kegerator, just need to clean, sanitise and brew something to put in it!

I know I can use my co2 to push the cleaner and sanitiser through my lines. But I happen to have an old, drill powered pump (see below), firstly, could I use this to circulate cleaner/sanitiser through my lines? If so, is it worth the effort to save a little co2? Or should I not be so tight?

If it is possible, how do I determine the correct thread size and adapter to connect to this?

20210723_171551.jpg

Good question. I’m guessing the threads will be standard BSP, probably 3/4”. If you’ve got an outside tap, see if the threaded connector on your hose pipe fits. You’ll need a tank/container for your cleaning fluid plus a connector to your pump. Then a connector from the pump to allow a corny liquid post to be fitted. The only thing I’m unsure about is the pumps suitability for use with potable water/liquid.

FYI I use 2 litre cola bottle as a container for my cleaner/sanitiser. Fit a carbonation cap....
7EAD8394-F00F-451A-9B31-D26EBAE770D2.jpeg

I use a car tyre pump to pressurise. I have a thingy that I made to connect the tyre valve connector to the quick connect on the bottle.
30BDEA70-BBD9-4EA1-87DB-D1C21C3F5B48.jpeg

Ah, you're right about the pump and potable water I think. I looked on the back of the packaging and noticed this...

20210724_164430.jpg

Suspect that means not suitable for drinking water.

Looks like I still have a lot to learn, didn't even know such bottle caps existed.

I think for my first time, due to impatience, I'll use my co2, but will look in to this as an option. I've also just recalled I have a pressure pump thing I've used for the garden before. I'm sure I could rig something up with that!

Thanks for your help sir, you've got me thinking of different options.

I use a corny keg with some sodium percarbonate, connect the gas line for pressure, open the tap and let the solution run through for a moment, close the tap and leave for twenty minutes. Open the tap to flush through. Then some water in the keg and flush that through. Finally remove the beer disconnect from the beer pipe and soak in sodium percarbonate for a few minutes. It’s worked for me so far without any special kit or solutions.

On a friends advise I use CO2 to speed up and make any processes easier, including cleaning/sanitising, use it to clean lines, pump oxy cleaner/chemsan from keg to keg, anything for an easier life, two cylinders a year at £20 each is worth it in my opinion for cleaning/sanitising/carbonation and serving and I brew quite often.

Despite the loss of C02 I’m more comfortable having C02 in my lines and kegs when they are left empty. I think having damp air left in them would significantly increase the risk of contamination despite the fact they (kegs) will get rinsed in starsan prior to reuse. my2c, Cheers…

Thank again for the further replies and confirmations of just using the CO2.

Started a brew yesterday (Tiny Rebel Cwtch Kit...Not made it to all grain brewing...yet), looking forward to my first keg of beer. Hoping the keg/line cleaning and sanitising goes smoothly.

Latest posts

Back