Cleaning equipment

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Bon79

Reaction score
A quick query about cleaning. I've just been using washing up liquid, then sanitising everything prior to storage, and sanitising again before using. Is that a no no? Seems to have been OK so far, but was wondering what other people do to clean their equipment.

Rodcx500z

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Bon, most people use oxi you can get it in 2kg tubs in B&M and yes washing up liquid is a big no no, if you do use oxi make sure it's not perfumed

Bon79

Reaction score
Thanks for that! Is that the stuff you use for washing? Does the strength of the solution matter too much? Cheers.

Rodcx500z

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the one i get mine in B&M make sure you use fairly warm water to mix it or it clumps and is a pita, as for strenth just fallow the instructions on the container

DocAnna

Scottish Brewster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I tend to clean the small components - grids/filters/hop spider in the dishwasher then rinse in water before use , then sanitise. It makes life a bit simpler!

Tavi-brewer

Reaction score
It's a bit of a minefield I agree. I usually give all the equipment/fermentors a good clean and scrub immediately after use, dry it thoroughly and store. Before using it again I rinse well then use products such as chemsan, a no rinse sanitiser formula before use.
I've never heard about Oxi Rod, but will have a look!
T