Cleaning kettle with electric element

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdinBrewer

Reaction score
Evening all,

I've just purchased a new stainless steel kettle with an electric element in it and I'm wondering what's the best way to clean it and with what? The instructions it's come with say clean with a stainless steel cleaner, what's that? and once a brew has been done in it, would using washing up liquid spoil the element? I take it, it's probably best to remove the hop bazooka and tap each brew too, to clean them?

The pot I've bought is similar to this https://www.home-brew-online.com/eq...ic-brew-kettle-with-temperature-control-p3428

Cheers

Clean immediately after use with PBW or a homemade supermarket Oxi solution. Rinse well.

If the element gets crusted with limescale then soak with a citric acid solution until shiny again.

Before first use you may want to passivate the stainless steel walls with Barkeepers Friend.

I used to wash up my SS kettle with washing up liquid. After a few brews the walls would be stained but the element would still be clean. I think a couple of times I used citric acid like foxbat says to clean any limescale.

We use fairy in our copper and then after every 8 brews it gets a deep clean with PBW. The outside just gets a wipe as we go.

Citric acid is great for cleaning the element after it gets crudded up with burnt on sugars and other deposits. Just leave it soaking for a couple of days.

I've seen it posted that washing up liquid isn't good for the beer's head retention.

Latest posts

Back