Cleaning out trub

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodak79

Reaction score
When I've finished a brew I usually wash out as much of the trub and krausen marks as I can with warm water and a piece of kitchen roll, and after that wash out with washing-up liquid and rub with kitchen roll. I seem to recall someone once saying that using washing up liquid has a detrimental effect on some aspect of the beer - to the point that he would rinse out his glasses several times after they had been washed.
Do any of you know if this is true? If so what recommendations would you have for cleaning up?
Cheers,
Chris

Any unperfumed Oxi based cleaner will work. I use PBW but there are lots of cheaper supermarket alternatives that people here use. @Clint knows the score...

Everyone else has already said it but a Big scoop of Wilco own brand oxy cleaner, I also use it for cleaning kegs, and demijohn’s, cheap, easy to get hold of and can also be used in your washing machine.

I seem to recall someone once saying that using washing up liquid has a detrimental effect on some aspect of the beer - to the point that he would rinse out his glasses several times after they had been washed.
It wasn't me wot said it, but he or she is right. Traces of washing up liquid on a glass will prevent the head from forming.

Not heard of this before. It is described as a stain remover! what makes this stuff right for homebrew cleaning?

Yes. Cleaning only. Though if you use hot enough water and don't leave it too long elbow grease alone should shift it!

It’s really good for shifting organic material I.e, yeast/hop debris etc. its especially useful for cleaning demijohn’s where you can’t get a cloth in to shift things.

You do of course still need to sanitise before use.

I have not scrubbed a fermentation bucket in years, just use a shower to get as much off as possible down the drain then I used to use the unscented oxy cleaners, but have since switched to 100% sodium percarbonate. It's a fair bit more expensive, 4kg was £18 I think but it's more than 3x as concentrated. Fill the bucket to the top with 60c water, add the percarbonate then leave it overnight. rinse the next morning then add some starsan and bob's your mothers brother. You can get 25kg sacks of it for better value if you want to use it for other things

I also use Wilkos cheap oxy cleaner. It really does shift a lot of stuff - hop oil globules floating around when cleaning hop bags for instance. Won’t be buying any other cleaner now I’ve found this.

Is sodium percarbonate solution ok to leave in contact with stainless steel? I use it for cleaning my corny kegs and sometimes I don’t rinse it for a few days.

Thanks for the responses.
I assume that you need to completely fill the fermenter. I have the wilko oxi, how much needs to go in per gallon? How long do you leave it and how much rinsing is required after to clear the oxi?
Thanks
Chris

Thanks for the responses.
I assume that you need to completely fill the fermenter. I have the wilko oxi, how much needs to go in per gallon? How long do you leave it and how much rinsing is required after to clear the oxi?
Thanks
Chris
I tend to completely fill the fermenter and dunk the lid below the liquid surface. Give it at least two scoops and ten minutes contact time.

Remember to rinse thoroughly afterwards; a few 3 or 4 litre rinses are better than a single 20l rinse.

Sodium Percarbonate will clean and sterilise. but a solution will remain active for five hours max. It does not dissolve well in cold water so use warm. 25 to 50g per litre is about right. Not for use on aluminium and do NOT mix with chlorine (VWP, bleach, Milton's Fluid or the like).

Back