Clear beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manners

Reaction score
Having recently kegged a brew and bottled the excess I had to have a quick check at the weekend. The beer from the keg resting in the fridge is gently carbonating to serving pressure, but remains far from clear. The beer in the bottles is in a dark warm cupboard and is crystal clear and, from the feel of them, well on their way to carbing.

The difference made me wonder- does carbonating in the keg prevent beer from clearing as quickly, perhaps due to the fact there is likely some sort of circulation due to the absorption of CO2? And therefore does it only begin to clear once the beer has absorbed all of the CO2 it can?

I havent yet experimented whether this could be chill haze, as temperature is the other obvious difference between the two.

Any thoughts?

I've found that my kegged beer clears quicker and better than anything I've bottled! I had assumed the pressure forced the heavier particles to settle quicker plus you're not introducing new sugar to produce more yeast (although I assume you bottled from the keg). :confused.:

That is Interesting. I would put a bottle in the fridge and see if it becomes the same as that in the keg as it is chilled down. Maybe it could be a chill haze effect?

I've found that my kegged beer clears quicker and better than anything I've bottled! I had assumed the pressure forced the heavier particles to settle quicker plus you're not introducing new sugar to produce more yeast (although I assume you bottled from the keg). :confused.:

I fill the bottles straight from the FV as I fill the bottles last, therefore would imagine there is a greater likelihood of sediment in them as well, as it does tend to get a little more stirred up towards the end of transfer.

I'm sure someone will be on who understands the science - it’s been a while since I did my fluid mechanics module at uni and I would have paid a lot more attention if it involved the brewing of beer! 🤣

That is Interesting. I would put a bottle in the fridge and see if it becomes the same as that in the keg as it is chilled down. Maybe it could be a chill haze effect?

Yes, that experiment is next on my list but will be the end of the week to give them a full two weeks to fully carb in the bottle. Was hoping somebody cleverer than me could set me straight!

Is there any way to combat chill haze (apart from the obvious)?

Remember that a corny keg has the dip tube in the recess at the bottom where the trub settles. The first few pints will have a haze then the rest will be clear. You can speed this up by adding finings to the keg when you fill it. I use Clear-it (formally known as Kwik Clear).

I fill the bottles straight from the FV as I fill the bottles last, therefore would imagine there is a greater likelihood of sediment in them as well, as it does tend to get a little more stirred up towards the end of transfer

I more meant that if you are adding sugar to the bottle, that causes the yeast to multiply and grow which, in turn, needs to flocculate. But yeah, likely to be getting more trub in those bottles too.

Remember that a corny keg has the dip tube in the recess at the bottom where the trub settles. The first few pints will have a haze then the rest will be clear. You can speed this up by adding finings to the keg when you fill it. I use Clear-it (formally known as Kwik Clear).

Hmm good point. In this particular instance a case of RDWHAHB might help proceedings!

Back