Clearing and Back-sweetening Mead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manitude

Reaction score
Hi there,

I made a small (half gallon) experimental batch of mead about a month ago. Currently it's been sitting on a shelf doing it's thing but a taste test showed that it's still extremely yeasty, doesn't taste of honey but it was very strong. No hydrometer reading, I really need to get into the habit of using it! My guess from the taste is in the region of 14% or 15%. My plan is to go and buy some chemicals to make it clear and stop fermentation.
I've looked at getting bentonite and potassium sorbate. So first I'd add the potassium sorbate to stop fermentation, then use the bentonite to get it to clear. Finally, once there's no active yeast left I'd add another jar of honey. What I don't want is for that honey to be fermented.

My questions are essentially "will this get the results I want?" and "would using different finings be better?"

Cheers :cheers:

Potassium sorbate technically should stop the fermenting and technically you should be able to sugar it back up without it fermenting again, but I ought to warn you I currently have a brew that simply won't stop even with a double dose of pot-sorb! This is the first one that I've stabilised to sweeten and leave in the bottle with sugar to sweeten but it doesn't seem to want to stop! What I normally do is to sweeten as I serve it - I think it's the safest option!

But yes, you had it right. You stabilise it with one teaspoon of potassium sorbate and 1 Campden tablet per gallon, leave it a few days, then add finings to clear it. Once clear, then you can sweeten it.

Jonny69 said:
Potassium sorbate technically should stop the fermenting and technically you should be able to sugar it back up without it fermenting again, but I ought to warn you I currently have a brew that simply won't stop even with a double dose of pot-sorb! This is the first one that I've stabilised to sweeten and leave in the bottle with sugar to sweeten but it doesn't seem to want to stop! What I normally do is to sweeten as I serve it - I think it's the safest option!

But yes, you had it right. You stabilise it with one teaspoon of potassium sorbate and 1 Campden tablet per gallon, leave it a few days, then add finings to clear it. Once clear, then you can sweeten it.
Thanks. I also bought some campden tablets as the potassium sorbate does say to use them (plus preserving things is probably a good idea - I've lost about 10L of cider in the last few months due to leaving it too long without preserving!)

Latest posts

Back