Clearing Sloe Gin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunfie

Regular.
Reaction score
I am asking this question for a friend.

Each year they make Sloe Gin but find that it is always a bit cloudy. How can they clear it without the use of chemicals? It is like beer in that it will eventually clear if kept in the cold for long enough or do they need to think about filtration?

Thanks Toni, is it just long maturation that the does it - it will eventually drop clear? :thumb:

Thats how it happened to me Calum. I made it last October hoping for Chistmas &, while it was drinkable, it hasn't cleared until now. Which reminds me, I should rack it off the sediment before long. :whistle:

I have been making sloe gin for years and never had a cloudy problem.

Always gin clear excuse the pun.

I cut the sloes with a knife as pricking them is a chore, then add about 1/3rd to half a carrier bag to 3ltrs of gin in a gallon demijohn and 12 oz sugar, and mix up like hell, everyday for a month then turn once a week. 2-3 days before crimbo bottle and enjoy never had a cloudy one apart from when I left one for more than 6 months after bottling, that bottle went cloudy in the bottle so I chucked it.

It only happened once & I learned from my mistake, Now its drunk Young.

UP

unclepumble said:
....... I cut the sloes with a knife as pricking them is a chore

I put the sloes on a flat surface and roll a cheese grater over them, the four sided type and use the section with the smallest 'pimples' to prick them, works for me :thumb:

as for clearing, it's my old problem, having the patience to leave it long enough :oops:

Back