Climate Change

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I guess covid is now old news as climate change rears its head again they have been discussing heat pumps and hydrogen fueled boilers at £20,000 are the government going to put 19 grand towards it as I am sure not many of us could afford to buy one.

If they are any good I would get one. I know a few with a air source heating system and complain all the time. Forever breaking and costs loads to service and repair. I am considering solar power as I have large roof space and all South facing.

My parents have solar which seems to work well on their large house. They also have a air source heated pool, my father said the air source system would never run the house.

A lot of farms around me have bio mass systems but their farms are constantly 28c plus 24 hours a day

I guess covid is now old news as climate change rears its head again they have been discussing heat pumps and hydrogen fueled boilers at £20,000 are the government going to put 19 grand towards it as I am sure not many of us could afford to buy one.

I wonder how many of the politicians pushing this have money invested in companies that make heat pumps and hydrogen fuelled boilers 🤔

I wonder how many of them know how little money the avarage person earns a year, I bet 20 grand is more than a lot of people's annual wage here.

What annoys me about this is the most polluting countries will do the least to clean up their act, how will the government force us to get one of these boilers if our old one breaks and you can no longer buy a gas boiler are people going to go without heat and hot water because they cannot afford a new one?

Your right chippy,These "averages" are heavily tilted by high earners and the very wealthy.
In huge swathes of Britain minimum wage plus about 20% is the "going" rate.

They will have to offer significant grants/ discounts if serious about getting people to adopt the new technologies, the last scheme was a bit of a mess. We were looking at air pump a couple years ago but no way we could afford it, the better system to me seemed to be a ground heat pump but again expensive, though prices will drop as they have with electric cars. I remember going round an old quarry as a kid being shown a geothermal experimental system which was the first of its kind I think.

If these things are going to be mass produced then they will cost less than £20k. How much do current boils cost?

A neighbour as heat source, we have never discussed the benefits but must about 7 years old and the system cost £11k if I remember correctly, luckily they have enough land to drill down far enough away from the property.

I know I could Google what are these tube things I keep seeing on roofs here they look like a big sunbed, do any members have these.

They are currently giving out grants in my area for GAS BOILERS. You couldn't make it up.
I'm still trying to get my old man off COAL! - he's an ex miner and gets free coal. At his age he needs something better like gas but no way will he swap now. I'd rather him swap whilst he can still get a gas boiler.

I know I could Google what are these tube things I keep seeing on roofs here they look like a big sunbed, do any members have these.

Been looking at them, been quoted between £2k and £3k for the panels to be installed, I already have the water storage tank that is required for them. Need to do some sums on how much I currently pay to heat my water

Been looking at them, been quoted between £2k and £3k for the panels to be installed, I already have the water storage tank that is required for them. Need to do some sums on how much I currently pay to heat my water

Do you currently use gas to heat water? If so, you’ll probably find it doesn’t cost a lot. We have a combi boiler for central heating and water heating. Our Winter gas costs around £55pm with the heating on, Summer gas for just hot water is about £7pm.

I’ve had those solar hot water evacuated tubes fitted for about ten years now.
Fit and forget, just a little pump controller to switch on the solar pump when there is enough heat available to move heat to the hot water tank.
Not viable for the winter months (though it will still add what it can) but during the summer it allows me to keep the boiler off every sunny day.

Being the geek I am, I have it all automated so the tank temperature is checked just before the boiler is due to fire up for hot water duties, if the tank is hot enough the boiler is stood down for the day.

I’d estimate half a days worth of sunshine (time of day and house demand dependent) is enough to keep the boiler off. 👍

There are safeguards built in to the system to prevent overheating situations.

I'm not dismissing climate change, but the irony is that I'm now being asked to put all of my trust in scientists, when I've just spent the last 18 months witnessing scientists consistently getting it totally wrong on the pandemic.
Scientist will be the first to admit that they CAN be wrong. That is the heart of the scientific method.

I have my whole life put trust in scientists, and I have also an applied sciences degree. I have never been disappointed. And sometimes scientists will say that they were wrong. That's life. **** happens, scientists learn to deal with it.

Put your trust in religion or politicians, and you will be disappointed day after day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back