Cling film

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronos

Reaction score
I watched a film on YouTube the other day where the brewer used food grade cling film with a pin hole made in it as a lid for his FV. Has anyone tried this as I find it can be hard trying to remove the FV lid when the FV is in the fermenting fridge as there is not much room to manoeuvre. Cling film would make the process that much easier but I am not sure about contamination.

I would mostly be worried about oxidation. I'd say the risk of a contamination is minimal even without the lid if it is in a sealed fermentation fridge.
But why would you even bother with sealing it up if your using cling foil.

Sorry perhaps I have not made myself clear, I would like to use cling film instead of the FV lid.

Sorry perhaps I have not made myself clear, I would like to use cling film instead of the FV lid.
I understood, sorry I was unclear. My reply is that even without a lid the chance on a contamination is minimal when you're fermentation vessel itself is in a clean sealed environment (the fridge). So with cling foil I wouldn't worry either.

But there are other concerns such as oxidation.

I've heard lots of people use Cling Film instead of a lid on their FV's.
They take the rubber seal out of the lid and use it like an elastic band to keep the cling film in place.
I wasn't even aware you put a pin prick in it. I thought it was slightly porous.

I don't use cling film myself.

As Bigcol says, I have been using cling film (plus a big elastic band) to cover my FV's for a few years now. No pin hole needed as the C02 finds a way to escape. You get the added bonus of being able to look into your FV anytime you like without fear of contamination

I'm not quite sure what you guys are trying to proof with cling foil.
I have done fermentations completely without a lid and with a kitchen towel and rubber band ;).
Risk of contamination wouldn't be something I'd ever worry about when the barrel is inside a cabinet.

I often use cling film around the rim of the FV to provide a leak proof seal between the FV and it's lid (since this joint is notoriously leaky) and have never had any problems. Works a treat.

As Bigcol says, I have been using cling film (plus a big elastic band) to cover my FV's for a few years now. No pin hole needed as the C02 finds a way to escape. You get the added bonus of being able to look into your FV anytime you like without fear of contamination
I just need to find somewhere to purchase the big elastic bands from.

I often use cling film around the rim of the FV to provide a leak proof seal between the FV and it's lid (since this joint is notoriously leaky) and have never had any problems. Works a treat.

terrym, how do you apply the cling film to effect an airtight seal? I got some cheap FVs recently which are great except for the lid not sealing under pressure! Thanks..

terrym, how do you apply the cling film to effect an airtight seal? I got some cheap FVs recently which are great except for the lid not sealing under pressure! Thanks..
Four strips of film about 100-150 mm wide laid around the top edge so that it is completely covered. Dont worry about overlaps it still seals. It don't look pretty but it works. The biggest problem for me is tearing the bloody stuff off the roll so that it is reasonably uniform and I dont end up with umpteen strands of useless film :doh:

I've used clingfilm on a demijohn lots of times when I haven't had an airlock or even a bung to go in the top. There again I've also just used bog paper held on with a rubber band - as long as the brew is fermenting the co2 will keep pushing the o2 out.
Last time I used it was here, when my stout got too hot and kept blowing the lid off. FYI the beer turned out fine...

P1060624.JPG

Four strips of film about 100-150 mm wide laid around the top edge so that it is completely covered. Dont worry about overlaps it still seals. It don't look pretty but it works. The biggest problem for me is tearing the bloody stuff off the roll so that it is reasonably uniform and I dont end up with umpteen strands of useless film :doh:

I pull it from the roll and lay it flat on the kitchen table. Then cut it with scissors. I then get a nice staight(ish) edge

Latest posts

Back