Clogged keg (full)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not the context that we're talking about though. You said that beer came out of the gas post and into your regulator. Unless the level of the beer in the keg was too high, that can't happen, because gravity.

Edit - if you were force carbing and the keg was on its side, and you were rocking it about, you might have collected a bunch of foam in the gas dip tube. When you turned the gas off on the cylinder, the pressure in the keg shoots that foam up the gas line and into your reg.

Maybe disconnect the quick connect from the keg, then switch off the gas at the cylinder. Then no matter what happens, you can't get beer up the gas line.

it was mainly foam so maybe it was over carbonated and releasing pressure created foam, and it was this foam tha twas pushed out by pressure. only had about 16 litres in a 19 lite keg so plenty of room, and it was standing straight.

good to know about disconnecting the quick connect - can you do that during a force carb before turning the reg down to 0 psi? ie when its at 20 psi for example?

you should turn the gas off at the gas bottle and not turn the regulator down if that is what you have done?

can you do that during a force carb before turning the reg down to 0 psi? ie when its at 20 psi for example?
You can but once you reconnect, the psi will shoot back up to wherever it was. I was messing around with my gas the other night, experimenting, and made a right mess of my kitchen. The beer shot out of the reg, over my shoulder and hit the ceiling.

You can buy something that stops the beer going into the reg.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/disconnect-check-valve/

Here is something else you shouldn't do with gas. Don't connect the gas to the keg first and then turn on the gas at the mains. Apparently this can make beer go up the line. Always have the gas fully on before connection to the post.

you should turn the gas off at the gas bottle and not turn the regulator down if that is what you have done?

that’s exactly what I did.

So in future turn the gas supply off at the canister, then just use the release valve on keg leaving the reg on 30psi or whatever, and it will sort itself out.

You can but once you reconnect, the psi will shoot back up to wherever it was. I was messing around with my gas the other night, experimenting, and made a right mess of my kitchen. The beer shot out of the reg, over my shoulder and hit the ceiling.

You can buy something that stops the beer going into the reg.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/disconnect-check-valve/

shame they are out of stock at this would have been full proof..

So in future turn the gas supply off at the canister, then just use the release valve on keg leaving the reg on 30psi or whatever, and it will sort itself out
Not sure about that. I don't think the psi that you have already set in the tank would be massively affected by venting the keg. Especially if you have closed the gas off via the canister. When you have everything hooked up and vent the keg, the psi only drops for a couple of seconds before returning to what you previously set.

IMO, just drop the psi slowly down to serving pressure and then disconnect. My gas is always 'ON' but I only connect it when serving.

Search around for one of those check valves though. Seems like that would probably put your mind at ease. Might try and source one for myself too.

Back