Clogged keg (full)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
I went to get a first taste of latest brew after a few days carbing in the keg but it won’t dispense. There is plenty of gas in there but despite trying two different taps (party tap and direct rap) nothing comes out.

I can only think it’s clogged, so question is how do I transfer the beer to another keg? Through the gas line somehow? Connect gas line to beer line of another keg, release gas through the prv until there is just enough left over for a gentle transfer?
Any ideas chaps?

Try putting the gas on the beer out post and blowing the dip tube clear just be careful as the connects can sometimes be a bu%*er to get off when put on the wrong ones also make sure that the pressure is higher than the keg to stop beer going back into the regulator

Have you tried blowing some CO2 through the liquid out post to try to clear the blockage?

Try putting the gas on the beer out post and blowing the dip tube clear just be careful as the connects can sometimes be a bu%*er to get off when put on the wrong ones also make sure that the pressure is higher than the keg to stop beer going back into the regulator
Ha, beat me to it. But I would switch to a liquid disconnect.

Whoa there!

I may very well be wrong, but what could possibly result in a tap being "clogged"?

The only things I can think of that may clog a delivery tap from a keg are foreign objects such as old rags, bits of plastic etc that have been left somewhere within the system.

In these circumstances, back-blowing the line to the tap will only be a temporary measure. i.e. It will occur again whenever the foreign body gets into the feeder tube again.

As I stated at the beginning, I may be very wrong, but the phrase "Read the Manual" springs to mind!

Frozen? Hadn’t thought of that but fridge as usual temps so should be ok

if I blow gas down beer tube i Need to release all gas first then? Or make sure I do a big quick burst of 20psi etc?

Hop debris can block dip tubes or the poppet valve, you will generally find that once clear it may block again if it is hop debris but eventually will clear
No you do not need to release all the gas but you can if you want. All you have to do is make sure your regulator is set slightly higher than the keg pressure so as to make sure it does not force beer up the gas line and into the regulator

Also if you do not feel confident putting the gas disconnect on the beer line if you have a spare beer disconnect put this on the gas line so it will come off easier and you should only need a few second burst to back flush the blockage. If it persists let all the pressure out of the keg and manually remove the post and dip tube and clean them then put back

I went to get a first taste of latest brew after a few days carbing in the keg but it won’t dispense. There is plenty of gas in there but despite trying two different taps (party tap and direct rap) nothing comes out.

I can only think it’s clogged, so question is how do I transfer the beer to another keg? Through the gas line somehow? Connect gas line to beer line of another keg, release gas through the prv until there is just enough left over for a gentle transfer?
Any ideas chaps?
Did you get nothing out at all? If you didn't even get any movement of liquid or audible spurting sounds at all in the beer line before it stopped I'd be double-checking to make sure your liquid disconnect has latched onto the post OK.

Yes good call Foxbat it could be as simple as a badly seating beer post. There is one way to test this which is rather unorthodox and that is to take the keg outside and press the beer post with a screw driver and see if beer squirts out if so the problem is with the beer disconnect just do not put your head over the post or you will get a beer shampoo

Also covered in star San and can’t find any leak

pushed gas into beer output. Gas presure only moved to about 10 and I struggled to turn it up so am thinking the post itself is blocked???

The keg now has no presure. It lost it very quickly so that why I checked for leak. It was on 10 psi for 2 days. But even with leak it should still dispense under presure

You should hear the gas go into the keg if you can not hear it then release the pressure from the keg and remove the post and dip tube and manually clean them replace and gas up to serving pressure

Cheers chaps As you can see blocked dip tube held by my lovely assistant!

Took a clean and sanitised one from another keg, got about 100 mm but blocked again. More hops blocking? This wasn’t massively dry hopped so not sure why. Although I did condition it for longer than usual in fridge.

Attachments

• 4E9F07C2-E381-4526-B391-029E5F26908D.jpeg
    4E9F07C2-E381-4526-B391-029E5F26908D.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 295
worst scenario is that you syphon the beer into another keg if you have one spare and put a nylon sock or fine hop bag over the end to catch debris. If you do this make sure you do not splash the beer to avoid oxidising it. Good Luck

Back