Closed transfer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.
I think I'm about to order a fermzilla all in 1 mainly so I can do a pressure transfer. I was planning on take the gas out of the all in 1 via a transfer line to my corny and then have a spunding valve on the gas post in of the Corny. If I'm right this will purge the keg ready for transfer.
My main question is can this be done by reducing pressure in the Corny lower than the all in 1 and then gravity takes over or will I need to co2 in the all in 1 to push the beer out?
Thanks. Just working out if I need to but more co2 line

No you will need CO2 for the transfer. I'd purge and set the spunding valve at 0 then use external CO2 to push.

I used my fermzilla all rounder for first time on my last brew. I pressure fermented at 2psi in the fermzilla. I then purged my keg and put 1psi in keg. I connected gas to gas in keg and fermzilla and liquid to liquid and it all transferred well for me.

Yes thats what jayk means. Haven't done it myself , I have previously connected co2 to fermzilla to keep pressure on, but think I will give the above a go next time.

Last edited:
I used my fermzilla all rounder for first time on my last brew. I pressure fermented at 2psi in the fermzilla. I then purged my keg and put 1psi in keg. I connected gas to gas in keg and fermzilla and liquid to liquid and it all transferred well for me.
I have never tried this closed loop, good to see it worked. About how long does it take to transfer and doesn't it equalize at some point and stop moving?

I have never tried this closed loop, good to see it worked. About how long does it take to transfer and doesn't it equalize at some point and stop moving?
Yeah it wasn't quick but I didn't mind as I went off and done other things like prepping the next transfer to keg. If I was to put a number on it at 2psi in fermzilla and 1 psi in keg I would go for 20 minutes approx.

How do you manage to keep pressure in the allrounder? I have the red plastic caps and it builds pressure while fermenting but then leaks out when fermentation is over, not sure if I have just got a dodgy unit ☹️

How do you manage to keep pressure in the allrounder? I have the red plastic caps and it builds pressure while fermenting but then leaks out when fermentation is over, not sure if I have just got a dodgy unit ☹️
Not sure. I tightened them but didn't overtighten as suggested in the instructions (whatever that means) and it appears to hold good pressure. Sorry can't provide any hints it tips and must have just been lucky ?

I had pressure tested with a bicycle pump over the course of a few nights to check for leaks before using it

You would have used gravity as well wouldn't you? 2 PSI int the emptying vessel would increase the pressure as the liquid rises in the receiving vessel to a point where they become equal I would have thought. I remember trying it years ago where I looped a gas line from emptying to receiving this was the days before the Fermzilla etc, I did eventually achieve the transfer but can't remember if I had to add pressure? This was going from tap to tap, from right to left. The theory was as the receiver was filling the co2 was transferring to the emptying vessel. I do remember I had to use gravity when the pressures equalised. It was possible I did put a squirt of gas in the emptying cube.

002.JPG

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 0
You would have used gravity as well wouldn't you? 2 PSI int the emptying vessel would increase the pressure as the liquid rises in the receiving vessel to a point where they become equal I would have thought. I remember trying it years ago where I looped a gas line from emptying to receiving this was the days before the Fermzilla etc, I did eventually achieve the transfer but can't remember if I had to add pressure? This was going from tap to tap, from right to left. The theory was as the receiver was filling the co2 was transferring to the emptying vessel. I do remember I had to use gravity when the pressures equalised. It was possible I did put a squirt of gas in the emptying cube.

View attachment 75436
Yes I did have the fermzilla on the bench and the keg on the floor

Hi all.
I think I'm about to order a fermzilla all in 1 mainly so I can do a pressure transfer. I was planning on take the gas out of the all in 1 via a transfer line to my corny and then have a spunding valve on the gas post in of the Corny. If I'm right this will purge the keg ready for transfer.
My main question is can this be done by reducing pressure in the Corny lower than the all in 1 and then gravity takes over or will I need to co2 in the all in 1 to push the beer out?
Thanks. Just working out if I need to but more co2 line
Purge keg.
I like to experiment and and make things complicated.
Using a fermzilla and 2 corny kegs. Clean corny kegs and fill one to the top with starsan or similar sanitiser. Start fermentation in fermzilla with no pressure and a blow off tube to purge the head space above the wort. Then connect the fermzilla to the corny keg filled with starsan and daisy chain that to the clean empty keg and fit the blow off tube to that. If required and once all the starsan has been transferred from the first keg to the second, you can disconnect the daisy chain and fit a spunding valve to the empty keg and ferment out under the required pressure.
For a closed transfer using gravity see this YouTube video. I use a similar medford myself

I’d say it depends if you’re time restricted, I do this sometimes and it takes quite a while to transfer.

To be honest I would have a gas line in standby to use if transfer sticks, because I find that it often starts ok and then seems to run out of steam. I haven’t figured out why but I suspect I have a leak on one of the connectors/posts.

I transfer out the FZ liquid to liquid, i pop a keg stopper on the corny gas post, then connect the other end to gas post of FZ. Sometimes I put a spunding in between the stopper and the FZ gas post too.

Attachments

• 1BA33D4B-FE55-45CF-8F00-D22955A8360C.jpeg
    1BA33D4B-FE55-45CF-8F00-D22955A8360C.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0
I’d say it depends if you’re time restricted, I do this sometimes and it takes quite a while to transfer.

To be honest I would have a gas line in standby to use if transfer sticks, because I find that it often starts ok and then seems to run out of steam. I haven’t figured out why but I suspect I have a leak on one of the connectors/posts.

I transfer out the FZ liquid to liquid, i pop a keg stopper on the corny gas post, then connect the other end to gas post of FZ. Sometimes I put a spunding in between the stopper and the FZ gas post too.
My method is similar to the video but I usually start with 1 or 2 psi more pressure in the corny keg. I then connect the gas line first to equalise pressure then connect liquid line followed by a quick pull on the pressure relief on the corny keg to start the flow.
Usually takes about 20 to 25 minutes, and I've not had any problems with stoppages so far !

I don't have a fermzilla and I don't pressure ferment but I still manage a "closed transfer". If the fermenter and keg gas lines are connected the system will reach equilibrium and a constant pressure (give or take pressure drop along the hose). My opinion, transfer is achieved by creating and maintaining a Syphon from the fermenter to the keg. I find a 5 gallon batch will transfer in about 30 minutes with a head height (distance from bottom of fermenter to top of keg) of around 20cm.

I don't have a fermzilla and I don't pressure ferment but I still manage a "closed transfer". If the fermenter and keg gas lines are connected the system will reach equilibrium and a constant pressure (give or take pressure drop along the hose). My opinion, transfer is achieved by creating and maintaining a Syphon from the fermenter to the keg. I find a 5 gallon batch will transfer in about 30 minutes with a head height (distance from bottom of fermenter to top of keg) of around 20cm.
If you've ever bottle conditioned, then you've fermented under pressure 😉😂

Back