Cloudy Chemsan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will4009

Reaction score
Hello,

I have previously used VWP to sanitize my brewing equipment, but its a bit of a pain, so I purchased some no-rinse Chemsan,.

I made a quick batch of ginger beer last night, and used the Chemsan for the first time. I made up a 5 litre batch, which uses 10ml of Chemsan.

It went instantly cloudy, when I cam to use it an hour later, you couldn't see through the glass vessel which it was in. On the bottle it states that if the solution goes cloudy, there may be an issues with the PH of the water. Normally, I would just nip out to the shop and get some bottled water, however we are having to self isolate ATM, so I cannot go out.

So...will cloudy chemsan still do its job? Should I switch back to VWP for the time being?

Would be grateful for any advice.

Cheers

I ordered a PH testing kit, my chemsan solution comes out with a PH of 4. The recommended effective PH level for chemsan is 3 or below, for effective sanitization.

So, it looks like I shall have to revert back to VWP for awhile. Are their any additives that can drop the PH level of my water?

Ideally I want to figure away I can use chemsan, no-rinse is just less hassle.

Thanks.

Would AMS/CRS work maybe?
Or if you have any citric or tartaric acid in the pantry that might do the trick? (Cream of tartar).
Or.. just use more Chemsan than recommended? I'm not sure if it is ok but I always used to just add a bit more when it got cloudy...

Would AMS/CRS work maybe?
Or if you have any citric or tartaric acid in the pantry that might do the trick? (Cream of tartar).
Or.. just use more Chemsan than recommended? I'm not sure if it is ok but I always used to just add a bit more when it got cloudy...

I did just wonder if I could up the quantity of Chemsan, but I was unsure if that would have the desired effect.

I will have a look into addatives, to see if any can knock the PH level down a bit.

Any more ideas?

I have read conflicting advice online, a few people say making a stronger solution will lower the PH number. I have also read that if you use Starsan/chemsan as soon as you make up a batch, then the PH level doesn't really matter, its just that a high PH will not store well? I have also seen report of people suggesting to add a bit of lemon juice to the solution...

Just want to make sure I do the right thing, and I don't end up with an infected batch.

When I was using tap water I just added a bit of citric acid. Now I use rain water and it stays crystal clear and the pH is around 2.4.

When I was using tap water I just added a bit of citric acid. Now I use rain water and it stays crystal clear and the pH is around 2.4.
Thanks for that, just ordered some citric acid, will see if it makes a difference.

It won't make it stay clear, that's do to with precipitatied minerals, but it'll bring the pH down.
Yeah, bringing the PH level down is all I was after. I don't suppose you rememberer how much citric acid you used per litre/gallon?

I don't suppose you rememberer how much citric acid you used per litre/gallon?
Sadly not, I dissolved some in hot water and kept adding it until the pH went low enough. Also our water alkalinities could be really different. You wouldn't need much, though. I've just mucked about with Bru N Water and 1/2 a gram per litre drops a pH of 4.12 to 2.7 with my water profile so half a teaspoon per litre would be more than enough.

Making it up stronger would work, too, as it's very acidic.

I ordered a PH testing kit, my chemsan solution comes out with a PH of 4. The recommended effective PH level for chemsan is 3 or below, for effective sanitization.

So, it looks like I shall have to revert back to VWP for awhile. Are their any additives that can drop the PH level of my water?

Ideally I want to figure away I can use chemsan, no-rinse is just less hassle.

Thanks.
Making it up with Tesco Ashbeck instead of tap water solves the problem. It's the same issue with Star San. Where I live the local authority tells me that I have 360ppm alkalinity which must be some kind of record high so I use Ashbeck for everything, including diluting Starsan. It stays clear to the end of the spray bottle.

Agree with the above, Ashbeck is a much better solution. In an emergency though, what about a little vinegar to acidify your water before making up the starsan?

Agree with the above, Ashbeck is a much better solution. In an emergency though, what about a little vinegar to acidify your water before making up the starsan?
Yeah, I didnt consider that. I suppose vinegar might have the desired effect, i cant see why not...

Here is the data sheet, technical from Chemsan wasn't concerned re cloudiness. pH of 3 or less was the necessity, check pH if keeping diluted over time.

Attachments

• 045_Chemsan data sheet.pdf
    515.7 KB · Views: 412
I find that Chemsan is far more intolerant of my local (hard) water than Star San ever was.

No issues with Chemsan going cloudy with Ashbeck though.

this bottle of Ashbeck went cloudy
1587123846921.png

Back